Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Galley drawer guide needed

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    While I think side rails would be nice, how would they prevent the drawers from sliding open when you're
    rolling around in a seaway? The small notches on the bottom of the drawers just under the face was
    put there to prevent the drawers from opening without first lifting them a bit. The weak spot for our
    drawer systems seems to be with the relatively flimsy hardware including the metal (alum) rail in the
    cabinet. If the drawer is loaded with fairly heavy stuff like owners manuals etc it puts a lot of strain on
    the cheap plastic part that was pictured in this thread. As well as Hatteras' were built, I think they
    dropped the ball on the drawer slide design.

Walt
    All my galley drawers are converted to ball bearing slides. Obviously very smooth. There's a ball tension and bullet catch on each for dockside use. That's backed up by a button latch for underway. I have to agree, Hatteras drawer mounts are pure junk.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The first response to the OP should have been SAMS. They have everything you need for the Hatteras drawers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I agree - Hatteras dropped the ball here. I bought a bunch of these drawer hardware parts (yes, fro SAM’s), and I replaced all of the hardware on almost all of my drawers. I became disenchanted with the project when the new hardware began breaking again right away - specifically, the rear bracket that holds the metal rail. What was really disappointing is that these things were breaking under the weight of empty drawers that had never had anything put in them once the new parts were installed. I ended up coming up my own concoction of a a chunk of hard wood for that rail to sit on and ditched the plastic parts.

I like the idea of the metal sliding glides (I had them on a previous boat), and I was wanting to do this even though it would mean adding a catch latch to keep them closed while underway, but because of the way all of these cabinets were custom made, there just wasn’t the structure there to install them without having to utterly rebuilding the “box” in which the drawers were installed.

When looking for a new boat, this is now a thing that I look at. These plastic hardware pieces were a royal pain to keep them in working order.
    all of the back track brackets on my 1972 58yf are 3/8 plywood routed out to accept the track. they appear to be original, same plywood as the drawers and square head screws holding them in place
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.