Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Any 31 Express Owners On Here?

Delivering a 2000 with 3126A 350HP CAT's and just wondering what kind of seas these boats can be happy in without breaking the captain.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?32309-Port-Aransas-To-Mobile
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Any 31 Express Owners On Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Delivering a 2000 with 3126A 350HP CAT's and just wondering what kind of seas these boats can be happy in without breaking the captain.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?32309-Port-Aransas-To-Mobile
    How come you didn’t say it’s a Cabo wabo?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I've been to Rome (GA), Dallas Texas, man I thought I'd seen it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1MI9nHXcA
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Had forgotten I posted this thread. Got the boat delivered, but I must say, that was the wettest boat I've ever been in. Terrible visibility, and I would hate to be a passenger (as I was for the most part of two days) on that boat for any length of time. You're pretty much relegated to looking where you've been vs where you're going. Hopefully that issue has been addressed in later model boats.

Tabs got stuck in full-up position just as I was entering the Gulf at Port Fourchon, LA and it damn near beat me to death in the Gulf! I did have an opportunity to do a little Gulf check with functional tabs when I ran outside Port Aransas the first day to see if it would be feasible to try and run it in some pretty good seas. It became very obvious they were more than either the boat or I wanted to mess with for 10 hours. Ended up running the ditch to Larose, LA (where I spent two days after wrapping a huge line with a huge clevis in the middle around both props) then down to Port Fourchon and on to Perdido Pass. Then it was the ditch to Carrabelle and Clearwater the next day. Had to recalibrate my brain to run 24 knots, but it sure makes a difference when you're used to cruising at 10. I had to drop to 14 to keep from killing myself crossing to Clearwater. No doubt functional tabs would have made things a LOT more enjoyable.

The trip across the OWW was uneventful but took two days from Clearwater, thanks to the locks shutting down at 4:30. Spent the night in Moore Haven and finished the trip to Boca the next day.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 06-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93