Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: My offer accepted on a 45C

10 knots is probably going to deliver poor mileage. I think 8.5 is hull speed and anything above that and it’s going the wrong way for consumption.

Sounds right. Faster than that, you are burning a lot more but not going much faster, until she climbs up and planes. I don't know how well a 45 with naturals will plane, though.

Tom Slane built some specials on that hull which were quite fast indeed, but much bigger engines. And correspondingly thirstier.

At 1200 rpm’s she makes 8.5 knots on the gps I usually run 8 though. I remember reading here that the hull is able to handle about 1100 horsepower running about 25 knots. Anything faster requires hull modifications.
    Last edited by Seapig100; 05-13-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Sounds right. Faster than that, you are burning a lot more but not going much faster, until she climbs up and planes. I don't know how well a 45 with naturals will plane, though.

Tom Slane built some specials on that hull which were quite fast indeed, but much bigger engines. And correspondingly thirstier.
    Jim
    Climbing up on plane is not in this boats future with Diesel just under $4.00 per gallon in So. Cal. :{).
    Out of curiosity what is LWL on the early 45C?

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    For what you were gonna have to pay for those Spanish lessons, you can fix a bunch. You can send the tapes back, right?
    Google translate is your friend. Of course I'll have to upgrade my flip phone.

My 1972 45c with 8v71 naturals with n70 injectors Allison 2 to 1 gears and 26x27 props will do 18 to 19 knots on the pins gps recorded. Will cruise at 14 knots no problem. I usually put her on top the gps will say 17knots and I back her down to a 14 knot cruise. I usually run her once a week. I have no outriggers tower etc and keep her light. But compared to the other beutiful boats on this site mine is a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    My 1972 45c with 8v71 naturals with n70 injectors Allison 2 to 1 gears and 26x27 props will do 18 to 19 knots on the pins gps recorded. Will cruise at 14 knots no problem. I usually put her on top the gps will say 17knots and I back her down to a 14 knot cruise. I usually run her once a week. I have no outriggers tower etc and keep her light. But compared to the other beutiful boats on this site mine is a wreck.
    Mine is a bit rough as well but planning to correct much of that. Spinning 26x30 wheels. No Tower but fiberglass outriggers.
    She will spend most of her life trolling Huntington Beach to Catalina and weekends to full weeks on the hook Fishing and enjoying the semi retired life.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    What is your fuel burn at 14 knots?

I have no way to measure fuel burn at a particular speed. Most trips are from little creek to the 1 st island of the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel which is not really far enough to get any real numbers. The Detroit diesel spec for 2050 rpm is about 13 gallons per hour per engine 26 total but it seems like she burns less than that.

Congrats 45C is a great boat !
    Ralph
    1985 45C
    VA Beach, VA