Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Need to reset the plexiglass in forward hatch

Not a bad idea. If you can measure the exterior of the hatch, the actual hatch cover, I'll see what I can scare up. You never know.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Of course, that's easy for me to say, because I didn't do this modification (it was done 2 owners ago on all hatches).

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Krush, It would be great to replace the hatch with a newer model, but that will have to wait a while - unless it becomes a crisis!

Jim, the inside measurements of the movable (top) part of the hatch are 29 7/8" side to side by 30 3/8" fore to aft.

Thanks!
    Nick
    Attached Images
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Looks like the one Krush has is a hatch mounted in the original hatch.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky, you are correct, it does look as though it might be mounted into the original hatch opening.

Krush, is that the case? Is it just dropped into the original opening and secured? if so, do you know what brand the unit is?

Thanks!
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Sky, you are correct, it does look as though it might be mounted into the original hatch opening.

Krush, is that the case? Is it just dropped into the original opening and secured? if so, do you know what brand the unit is?

Thanks!
    Not in the opening. In the actual hatch cover.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'm not sure exactly what they did. I think the hatches are Lewmar.

This boat was totally refit in the late 90's and has lots of nice trick carpentry work done...many neat touches that are way better than the factory. Anyway, I think they made like a new wooden box "adapter" that fit on the existing hatch hole on the deck. If you look at the first picture, you can see a crack in the paint about an inch or so down on the perimeter....I think this may be where the two mate up. And then the new style hatch was mounted to the "box".

It's a pretty slick setup with very little chance of leakage because the hatch is almost 3 inches above the deck. The hatch won't have to content with standing water.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381