Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need to reset the plexiglass in forward hatch

Our 1984 53' ED has a leak between the plexiglass and the frame and needs to be resealed.

I have gotten two very different opinions already from knowledgeable friends about how to proceed.

One said to use silicone - allowing a small continuous bead to set up for the plexi to sit on, then one it has set up apply more silicone and bed the plexi in that on top of the small bead that has already set up. The theory he says is that with the frame and the plexiglass expanding and contracting at different rates, the cured silicone bead under the plexi will remain intact whereas if the plexi is bedded in silicone in just one step, the different rates of expansion and contraction will cause the silicone to loose its adherence to one of the surfaces allowing for leaks to start again. - It sounds sensible to me!

The other instruction I was given was to find a sealant designed for the purpose and that it would work fine.

I don't know what material the frame of the hatch is made of, but the unit is right heavy!

Any experience with this issue?

Thanks!
    Attached Images
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Re: Need to reset the plexiglass in forward hatch

You would get more results having this moved out of the "for sale" section.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Whoops!

I didn't realize I had not returned to the "Tech Talk" section.

I will re-post it there.

Thanks!

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

The plexi expands and contracts quite a bit with temperature variation. This breaks the caulk. That is why Hatteras did not use plexi and instead went with fiberglass. You can reseal, but it will likely always be an issue over time if you don't rough up the plexi first so the caulk sticks and use something that will flex and move.

I talked with Tom Slane when I was considering doing this and he told me not to do it because it would eventually leak.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have re-posted this question in the "Tech Talk" section of the forum...

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA