Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Partial blockage in fuel line

We have 12V72's and each engine has a pair of Racors. Changed to T heads with Parker gauges and pair on the port engine show almost full vacuum when running at any speed. Changed gauges, filters and worked valves all without anything happening. Help!!!

Re: Partial blockage in fuel line

If you have a vent which I suspect you do I would check that first to make sure its not blocked by something like spider webs or a bees nest. Also look for soft fuels lines that may have delaminated inside.

You nigh want to blow back to the tank to be sure there isn't something on the pickup tube.

If that works biobor!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    You nigh want to blow back to the tank to be sure there isn't something on the pickup tube.If that works biobor!
    Whoa! Tanks can’t take much pressure. You better make sure that vents clear before you split your tank.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The "Boogers" are usually in 90 degree elbows if you have any. Pressure (blowing them out) only moved them around. I had to take apart the lines and clean out. Was mostly behind the fuel manifold. I also cut my pickup tubes at a 45 degree angle on both sides (looks like a V from the side now) so there are no flats spots for something to block 100% suddenly. I also used a tool made for picking up small parts and tools that is long, flexible, and has a little claw on it and spent a day fishing for boogers around the pickups. Got quite a few.

Good luck. Probably a combination of small issues but like others said check the vents first.

I had a similar situation years ago and it drove me nuts. It was an intermittent issue until one day on
    a day cruise the engine shut down. When we got back to our dock, after much anguish finally the culprit
    was found. The pick up in the fuel tank was picking up chunks of goop. We pulled the pick up and
    cleaned it all up and ran a bunch of biobor into the tank. After changing the Racor filter several times
    we ceased to have any recurrence of the problem. I do think however that all the suggestions listed
    in the earlier posts have potential solutions as well. Good luck and let us know when you get it resolved
    so that others may benefit from your efforts. Ahh, the fun of having a boat..........

Walt