Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Glomex web boat 4g dome

Anyone using one of these? I’m looking into purchasing one and I’d like to hear any pros / cons or substitutions.

Thanks

http://www.glomex.it/webboat/eng/it1004plus.php
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Re: Glomex web boat 4g dome

That page clearly states this only works in Europe...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I didn’t see that. Here’s another link.
    http://www.glomex.us/portfolio-items...-wifi-webboat/
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

So they have a US version. On your first link it was down the page above “download the manual”

Looks similar with what KVH lajnched a couple of years ago

What s the cost?

We have a dual sim cradlepoint modem with a Shakespeare Halo booster and get signal up to about 18 nm. In fact today we pick it back up about 20nm from Chubb and have not lost it so far (15nm south of new providence )
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal.
    It’s about $ 550. We’ve been using a mobile hot spot for the past few seasons with mixed results. We’ve gone away and actually forgotten to take it with us. This seems more permanent/stationary.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

I’m about ready to buy one also. Was next to a boat in St Augustine with one and owner allowed me to use his.It was flawless for four weeks I was tied up next to him. Only thing I don’t know is weather I was using his T mobile data or running off a boosted marina router signal. It only works with AT&T or T Mobile for wi-Fi SD Card if it can’t lock onto a marinas Wi-Fi and then boast the signal. Runs on 12V to 30V and no other wiring. My only issue is the cost of a separate account with unlimited data from either cell service. If your already a T Mobile customer it’s dirt cheap you just tell them you have an extra phone already and just need a SD card to add to your existing account and it’s about $45.00 per month for unlimited data if your existing plan has that. If your an AT&T customer I think it’s more expensive. Only thing they don’t tell you is that after you use a certain amount of data per month they slow down your speed. Think it’s still enough to stream movies etc.Hope this helps.

Sea horse.
    Thanks for your input. Most of our use would be at the marina on there WiFi. I would cancel our hot spot and transfer It to a ATT sim. We are locked in with ATT for the moment. You are correct on the speed slow down. But unfortunately that’s part of the game.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Thought I would report on the Glomex WebBoat I finally purchased and greatly shorten the learning curve for anyone thinking of purchasing one. Got quite an education with at least 12 hours of torture before finally getting it to work and it’s excellent. Installation is stupid simple. Runs on 12v to 32v dc and a SIM card from either att or t mobile. It will not preform with Verizon or Sprint. Seems the frequency that t mobile and att use is the only acceptable SIM card. Next thing the font tell you is that it only works with a SIM card that’s programmed for data only.You can’t buy a sim with a plan for talk text and unlimited data won’t work. Ask me how I know? Next issue was T Mobile which I chose based on cost of plan does not have enough cell towers along the coast from NC to NY for good cell reception ,therefor it didn’t work except in Morehead City NC where it was perfect. After several conversations with the company support guy who was great to deal with I figured out it may be the t mobile sim. Replaced it with a att sim from my hot spot device and bingo works perfectly. The way it works is that it runs on either land based wi Fi from marinas or when too far away automatically uses your sim data account. I have great wi Fi at the marina I’m staying at so it’s boosting the marinas signal and not using up my data but if I move and don’t get marina wi Fi it will allow streaming movies and data for internet as required. Feel it’s a good item if you have folks who need to work remotely or want to stream tv and movies instead of an antenna or $5000 satellite dome. Hope this helps if your considering purchase.

Sea Horse. Thank you for your input. I have purchased the dome but haven’t had the time to install it. I hope to avoid some of those setup issues after reading your report.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881