Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

A source here has informed me that if a pleasure craft is up to abyc std's then they would probably accept it as ok provided pollution stuff, lifejackets etc are to current Cdn requirements.
    I was surprised to see that ABYC charges for access to it's standards, yet they are now law in the US and I thought all US laws had to be made free to public. ? That could be an expensive research project.

2. Re: possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

From the ABYC website:

The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) is a non-profit, member organization that develops voluntary global safety standards for the design, construction, maintenance, and repair of recreational boats.

It is in no way a law in the USA or anywhere else. Merely, in simplest form, a set of guidelines.

I apologize for disrupting your thread Dennis. Carry on.

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/....H-22.1986.pdf

That's what downloads...and on their site you have to pay to read the stuff, this one slipped thro.

In the particular example you've cited (downloaded document) the United states Code of Federal Regulations Part 46 has elected to use the ABYC standard as their basis for law.

Not all ABYC standards serve as the basis for CFR's. ABYC standards are the guidelines but the CFR's are the law.

Also the full CFR cited in that download doens't appear to exist. Very probable that document is bogus as they don't "approve" every single CFR regulation individually.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Some newer boats are now being built to ABYC standards which requires an inspector in the plant to make sure all things are done properly before they will approve as an ABYC certified vessel. Beyond that there guidelines are just that, only suggestions, not requirements. Older boats do not have to conform. I use many of ABYC’s guidelines when I survey boats but only as suggested recommendations, not requirements, in fact there are some things they suggest that I do not agree with. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.