Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

Looking at a used late 70's 43 dc, private sale will be importing from US, vessel has rigid PVC S/40 sewage piping to the tank with a y valve set up for overboard, vessel has pvc isolation valve at the hull discharge, just below water line, looks like a good installation. My Cdn surveyor has doubts that would pass for our inspectors up here but feel that if met ABYC it would pass the sniff test.
    So I have looked at ABYC and cannot find any specific rejection of the current installation, anyone ever have something like this come up on a survey with rejection ? I do not want to use that hose stuff if possible, the pvc looks like the answer.
    Thanks for whatever help you can pass on.

Re: possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

IMHO the pvc is the way to go if it fits. I had that set up on my 46 Matthews MY and it worked great. Surveyor when I sold the boat didn't say a word about it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

installed the PVC nearly 20 years ago on my current 38'. absolutely no issues whatsoever.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I have partial PVC sewage setup on my 1976 43DC and it's been problem free, not sure if up to ABYC code.

You've been away for awhile and had a 43DC if I'm not mistaken, you getting back in the game?
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

I agree with PVC.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If I understand you correctly you have a below the waterline PVc valve on the discharge. As a surveyor I would suggest that that valve should be a bronze or Marelon valve. The rest of the system in pvc is fine. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    If I understand you correctly you have a below the waterline PVc valve on the discharge. As a surveyor I would suggest that that valve should be a bronze or Marelon valve. The rest of the system in pvc is fine. John
    Our regs up here have no specifics on the piping or valves, only the tanks, etc and overboard vents etc.

I like the boat having had one but my big concern is that under our regs new construction standards apply to all imported used vessels, so I think it would be a problem, a surveyor I talked to here says zero PVC anywhere, so if ABYC has no issue then I should be able get relief on it. I see nothing in ABYC disallowing it.

Many thanks for the fast feedback.

8. Re: possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

If you have to bring a 70s vintage Hatteras construction and systems up to the requirements of a new build to import her, you have á lot more potential trouble than a few runs of PVC pipe. I also question a "surveyor"who doesn't have a concern about a PVC valve being used on a thru-hull below the waterline.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    If you have to bring a 70s vintage Hatteras construction and systems up to the requirements of a new build to import her, you have á lot more potential trouble than a few runs of PVC pipe. I also question a "surveyor"who doesn't have a concern about a PVC valve being used on a thru-hull below the waterline.
    If it passes ABYC why would someone have a concern ? they approve that corrugated crap for bilge pumps which when bent to create a loop just ends up cracking and leaking, it almost sank the Hatt I had in Florida. Marelon is no doubt a better solution.

Your input is much appreciated.

10. Re: possible purchase used 43 Hatt. sewage system issue

Thanks.

I am curious how you are going about bringing a 30 - 40 year old boat and all of her systems, not just black water, up to complete "new build" standards.