Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Securing tender and outboard

Bought an 11 whaler and put a new Yamaha 6 HP on it to tow short distances and sometimes we will spend the night on the hook. Years ago I had my 1 year old 8HP stolen off my tender sitting on my dock. It was not secured in any way so my fault.

So this one will sit on a trailer on the side of the house at least for now. I can cable it all together but cables can be cut. So I will at least bring the engine inside.

How do you guys secure a tender and engine in the water overnight? Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Re: Securing tender and outboard

Thee is a huge problem with trailered boat theft in south Florida, usually with stolen trucks. Boats are quickly stripped and dumped in rural areas. Happens even in fenced properties... motion activated lights, heavy duty chains and locks securing the trailer to a tree or to a concrete pad are a must

We never leave the tender in the water overnight not worth the risk. If you have to, a heavy duty cable and lock should keep it secure
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What a sad state of affairs ... Lots of people today have absolutely no sense of right or wrong. When
    someone needs to chain and lock his property or risk losing it, we have to ask ourselves where society
    went wrong. When we were kids we left lots of things outside and never even considered that someone
    would take it. Perhaps you can rig up a strong electrical charge to tender and motor so that anyone
    trying to steal it won't try to steal again.

Walt

The brackets are on the platform and I kept the outboard in the cockpit. Nobody ever new the outboard was in there. I put a chain on the whaler then attached it to the boat.to the boat.