Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Turbo exhaust leak, how serious?

x2 on the silkolene. expensive stuff to say the least but it works. My opinion is that leaking exhaust is bad all around. Bad for the engines to ingest. Also a potential carbon monoxide hazard depending on the turnover rate of your blowers. I know it's not "pro", but you can remove that clamp completely and smear in a product called JB Weld High Temp. Just smash it into the cracks and put the clamp back on while wet. One would think that this would make a permanent bond and you'd have trouble in the future but this is not the case. One whack with a rubber mallet and the JB weld will crumble right off and you can do a proper seal job with a fresh clamp and silkolene (which by the way is not required to make the turbo seal but is merely an aid if the mating surfaces are not perfectly parallel). I have used the JB weld in a pinch to keep gases at bay for a few trips in a pinch. Safe travels.

Never had much luck with Silkolene and way too expensive. I use the exhaust flange sealant that Caterpillar sells. It comes in a pint can made by 3M. Good stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Loctite MR2000 is the sealant Cat now sells. 3M no longer makes their products. If your engine is a Detroit some of their clamps are getting hard to find. I recently went through this and finally found the clamps used for my 12V71's. I used the Loctite and so far all is well. Here is the link to the original thread

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ak-12V71/page5

permatex makes an exhaust sealer that is rated up to 2000 degrees just like the cat stuff, its about 8 dollars a tube at any auto parts store. just used it on my john deeres. i have not run the boat hard yet but running her at 1500 for about 10 minutes and there is no sign of leaking. i will be taking her out in the coming weeks and will report back what it looks like after an extended run on plane.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

5. Re: Turbo exhaust leak, how serious?

All exhaust leaks at the turbo or elsewhere are serious no matter how small. That being said, I would remove the large clamp, remove the elbow and clean all of the mating surfaces until they shine. Visual inspect the surfaces for any burned areas. Reinstall the elbow onto the turbo using a new clamp. I'm not a fan of using any sealant but it can't hurt either. Start her up and recheck for leaks. If you do run it under load to test, reinstall all of the insulation before doing so.
    If it still shows evidence of leakage, there are new exhaust parts in your future.