Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turbo exhaust leak, how serious?

So we are in Marathon for another week and will have to vacate our slip next Wednesday. I have a motor issue that I want to get sorted before we cross to the Bahamas, but I don’t know if I need to get it fixed here in Marathon or if we can go north to Stuart, Lauderdale area where it will be cheaper and there are more service choices.

The problem is an air leak from a turbo that is putting out soot at the flange where the turbo connects to the exhaust pipe. The clamp was a bit loose and I snugged it up, but I know the turbo needs to be demounted, have the surfaces cleaned and then be reinstalled. I would start the job today, but I am concerned about breaking hardware and getting stranded with only one engine and I would prefer to assist a tech as opposed to doing it myself for the first time.

Like I said, I have snugged up the clamps, the large one on the compressor flange was not loose, but I was able to get 1/4 turn on the bolt. The smaller clamp was definitely loose and I got perhaps a turn and a half on it. Is it safe to run up north at 1050 rpm to get somewhere we can have it repaired or are we stuck here? I have the turbo blanket removed now and there is no oil on it, just some scorching. Should I reinstall it for the trip north or leave it off. I intend to clean the soot off to be able to see if I have stopped or slowed the exhaust leak, but is there anything else I can do? I would prefer to leave the turbo attached to the engine exhaust manifold with the bolts as I don’t want to break one and disable the engine until I am somewhere I can stay while I wait for parts.

I guess what I am asking is if a exhaust leak from the turbo flange is enough to keep us from running that engine for a couple or three days at low rpm to get out of the Keys. And how can I check to see if I’ve minimized it by tightening the clamp?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Turbo exhaust leak, how serious?

Aside from the mess that the soot makes in the ER, you do not want your machinery ingesting airborne soot. It eventually makes the engines self destruct. One more after thought - if that clamp breaks and the turbo comes loose you've really got big trouble. Inspect that clamp carefully and monitor frequently while underway.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 04-16-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yes, beware of removing turbo from exhaust flange. I removed mine (1976 Cummins 903) a few years back to facilitate replacing exhaust hose. The flange on the turbo side crumbled in several places, rendering it useless. Thanks to Avenger I was able to find replacement turbos. Turned into big job.

There is a special, and expensive, high heat sealant you are supposed to use on the Turbo to Exhaust Flange union. I tried finding name of in my archives but am at a loss. Perhaps you could carefully remove clamp, spread this sealant along outside of union, and reassemble? Wish you Best.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

I had a turbo and other exhaust leaks and engines sucked up soot. Expensive repairs try to get fixed asap

May seal itself when it heats up.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

What is the best way to check it? Run the engine without the blanket and use a piece of paper along the flange to show gas leakage? I know better than to use my hand to look for 1500 degree exhaust gas leaks, but what do you guys do?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    What is the best way to check it? Run the engine without the blanket and use a piece of paper along the flange to show gas leakage? I know better than to use my hand to look for 1500 degree exhaust gas leaks, but what do you guys do?
    Clean the blanket. Clean around the turbo. Take a picture if need be. Run the boat and check the blanket. It may very well leak some on start up and be good the rest of the day. Still needs addressing, but manageable. The blanket will tell you.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    There is a special, and expensive, high heat sealant you are supposed to use on the Turbo to Exhaust Flange union.
    I think it was Silkolene 762.

https://www.silkolenestore.com/produ...ting-compound/
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post

Yes! That is it.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

I had a similar issue two years ago and found the v-clamo was fatigued but not broken. Replaced the clamp and all was well again. Not a bad spare part to keep aboard and not all that expensive.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT