Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/C split units

A/C split units

Has anyone replaced or removed the split system A/C units on a 61 motor yacht. I am wondering how hard it is to access the refrigerant pipes from the compressor to the evaporators to remove them. I want to rip out the current system and replace with chillers and run new insulated chilled water lines. Someone told me the copper lines are screwed down all along the runs and are impossible to remove.

Re: A/C split units

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    Has anyone replaced or removed the split system A/C units on a 61 motor yacht. I am wondering how hard it is to access the refrigerant pipes from the compressor to the evaporators to remove them. I want to rip out the current system and replace with chillers and run new insulated chilled water lines. Someone told me the copper lines are screwed down all along the runs and are impossible to remove.
    I believe the copper lines are secured every 6 inches. They are insulated, though, so maybe just use them for the water.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Pascal recently installed a chilled water a/c system on his 53 MY. His report on this forum was quite
    interesting. I think he ran new water lines rather than try to use the original copper. Pascal, can you
    help this HOFer out.

Walt

Indeed You can’t use the copper as it is too small. You probably can’t remove it either as so much of it is secured.

In my case since a lot of the cabinetry, exhaust, etc was removed running new insulated hoses was easy.

Not very familiar with the exact layout of the 61 but with the ERs in the center of the boat, it s not very difficult to run new hoses up to the salon or tobthe stateroom.

And it is well worth the trouble.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Are the existing a/c compressors in the engine room? On my 63’ they are all under the galley in the generator compartment. I would think that would make it a bit more difficult to run hoses back to the Master Stateroom and to the aft air handler in the salon. Not impossible though, just harder.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

When converting to chillers you re starting from scratch so they can be installed either way. I considered the generator room but on the 53 had more space in the stbd ER, one in each corner. Doesn’t make much of a difference for the hoses. It just takes a couple of holes

I did install the chilled water tank and circulation pump in the gen room though
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

So it sounds like the original copper lines were run during construction and secured in place before the rest of the interior was built on top of them. Guess they will need to stay where they are and new lines run beside the existing. Thanks for the info.

I've got a 63 MY, and recently replaced my Salon and mid-stateroom units with a self contained units.. so I had to run water and return lines. It was quite easy run lines from the existing pump distribution manifold, and back to the discharge manifold. Insulated chiller lines would be a little more difficult but doable. Look under the port side bunk in your aft guest stateroom. On the forward bulkhead, you'll see a chase, filled with putty, that goes into the genny room. Look aft under that bunk, and you'll see access to the removable back wall of the closet. I'm galley up, so for me, it gave me access under my sink, from there, there was a removable panel accessing my salon AC.. I left the copper in place.