Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Tip Semifinals

This is a follow-on to the Paint--Paint--Paint thread. "No Tip Semifinals" because I've yet to buff out the finish. I now have six coats of Interlux Perfection in Snow White applied. The process was modified a bit. Still, absolutely zero tipping

Yesterday was good painting day. I planned to put on 1-2 more coats having the first one on by 10 AM. But the paint was touch dry after 90 minutes. So I decided to chance hot coating and applied two additional coats at two hour intervals. No sanding between coats. Really nice build.

This morning, I began sanding after an overnight cure of 18 hours. I lightly sanded with 320, then worked up through 600, 800, 1200, 2000, 2500 finishing at 3000 grit. The surface was plenty hard. I ran out of 3000 grit pads, so the shine may not be all that it could be. I'll be back onboard Thursday to give it a good buffing with (you guessed it) Woody Wax polishing compound.

IMG_0200.jpg
    Tried to paint Thursday and Friday. When Interlux advises not to paint in high winds, take them seriously.
    IMG_0211.jpg
    Haven't really worked hard to feather in to original paint. Doesn't look like I'll have much to do to finish. Have a few touch-ups and the center post remaining. Fortunately, I have some black Perfection on hand.
    Unknown-1.jpg
    To my eye, a perfect color match.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: No Tip Semifinals

Looks fabulous and professional
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Beautiful work Robert.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Thanks, guys. The more I paint the luckier I get.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

So, 4 coats total and no sanding in between, only at the end? Do you mix the whole quart at a time, assuming there is enough area to paint?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Four? I said six total. I did sand between 1-4, 320 grit. 5 & 6 were hot coated and, therefore, not sanded. I never mix it all at once. This painting took place over two weekends. Each coat was about three ounces. Still have paint in the can.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks. Sorry, I missed the number of coats.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Looks great Robert. Were the six coats rolled thin? I ask because it seems like six coats is a lot of paint to apply. I have some painting to do myself and want to get it right the first time with the best product and process. Thanks for your sharing.

Bob
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Looks great Robert. Were the six coats rolled thin? I ask because it seems like six coats is a lot of paint to apply. I have some painting to do myself and want to get it right the first time with the best product and process. Thanks for your sharing.Bob
    Well Bob, I didn’t plan on that many coats. They just seemed fun and easy. Since I couldn’t sand the same day, I just painted. First three were thin. Last three were a good bit thicker. I think hot coating allowed a thicker coat to stick better. I had one small sag that sanded out easily. Realistically, three or four would’ve been sufficient.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I’m impressed... holy Hatteras! Looks great!