Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile weatherboard material

I was hoping that maybe someone might be able to help me with the name of the material makes up the wall between the wood rail cap and the deck on the sides of my 71 YF 58. It encloses the railing from the salon door to and through the afterdeck. I believe its some form of Masonite perhaps? Any info on the material and even better where I might get some would be much appreciated!

Re: weatherboard material

It’s called Dodger Board in the catalog.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check with Sam's Marine. They used to carry it in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness and the sheets were 49"
    wide by various lengths. Steve sold me enough 1/4" material to do my entire aft deck area as well as
    the bridge.

Walt

PVC material such as used to make sign boards etc is a great alternative. I replaced ours over 15 years ago and still excellent. It is paintable too.

Quote Originally Posted by wndsr View Post
    PVC material such as used to make sign boards etc is a great alternative. I replaced ours over 15 years ago and still excellent. It is paintable too.
    Sign board; PVC with aluminum skins
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

As PVC expands & contracts more than the traditional Dodger boards, how much space is used between the joints?

I didn’t change gap. I did however drill the mounting holes larger and mount in rubber grommets to allow some movement due to expansion.

Hi this is Mike. I originally posted the weatherboard question. With a little research and the help of Sams Marine and Particularly Steve in one of the Carolinas I found the name of the product is Micarta board. Micarta is a resin infused compressed paper product with a skin similar to Formica adhered to both sides. Sams has it in stock for $366 per sheet 1/8" X 30" X 144". Thanks to everyone else for their input.

Hello, if you can find an electrical supply house that sells to large electric motor repairers you might save a bit on the micarta. It is used quite often to keep the brushes from damaging the commutator during assembly.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Hello, if you can find an electrical supply house that sells to large electric motor repairers you might save a bit on the micarta. It is used quite often to keep the brushes from damaging the commutator during assembly.

Walt Hoover
    But the stuff for motors is the brown stuff with a canvas texture to it. Just buy it from Sams. They have the right stuff and could use your support. They provide this site for free to you. Repay the favor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI