Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 871 grey smoke

871 grey smoke

It has been suggested to me that my grey smoke on startup could be down to the engine blowers needing servicing.Is this a possibility.I am not sure what the blower on an 8 71 TI does
    Ian w 1981 53 my

Re: 871 grey smoke

The blower forces air into the air box that feeds the cylinders, just like the non-turbo version. The turbos add more pressure to the air before it gets to the blower. The reason it might be the blower is that grey smoke indicates oil and the blower seals might be leaking oil, but stop once the engine gets hot enough.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Blue smoke = oil
    Black smoke = lack of air
    White/grey smoke = unburnt fuel

White/grey smoke on startup is more likely unburnt fuel. If it idles clean when warm, I wouldn't worry about it. If you still see some smoke after it warms up, check the injectors and run the rack. May be an injector or exhaust valve or two out of adjustment. Start there before diving deeper. Get a mechanic that knows DD's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have cured my Gary smoke problem
    I installed 2new Racor units and did not use Permatex sealer when tightening the fuel lines thus letting air in with the fuel.
    Have sealed the fuel lines properly now and no smoke
    Ian w
    53my

Great news
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    I have cured my Gary smoke problem
    I installed 2new Racor units and did not use Permatex sealer when tightening the fuel lines thus letting air in with the fuel.
    Have sealed the fuel lines properly now and no smoke
    Ian w
    53my
    Raycor filters take an oring fitting. J1926. No sealant required. What did you use instead?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.