Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Search Light

Search Light

I started to recondition the old rayline search light, but decided new is better. I do like the look of the old one and may go ahead and mount it for looks, but for function I am going with the Golight Stryker HID. Since these are 12 volt lights, I will need a buck converter. The specs say 8 amp startup and 3.5 amp continuous, so I am thinking a 10 amp converter will work. Any recommendations on converters? I could also wire it to my 12 volt generator battery, but I don't want to burden it. Maybe when I add a second 12 volt battery.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Search Light

Aren't all your bridge electronics 12v?

The gauges are 12v but I don't think the converter(s) they rely on are powerful enough to run a searchlight. The GPS and radio on the flybridge is 12 volt, fed via the generator starting battery, and that is an option. All the lighting is of course, 32 volt. I would have to trace where the searchlight power wires go and reroute them to the gen battery. I guess I am leaning towards adding a second 12 volt battery, because now when I start the gen, it interrupts my radio. I just installed a two bank 12 volt charger to replace the old charger that was on the gen battery. I just need to figure out the space to put the second battery. I will probably install it separate from the gen battery, but next to it if the need ever arose to switch the gen to it.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have a 52C and have a dedicated 12v battery and charger located up there to power all the electronics. There is also a safety plus for this in that, God forbid I start to go down, the power to the radios will take a while to short out.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I have a 52C and have a dedicated 12v battery and charger located up there to power all the electronics. There is also a safety plus for this in that, God forbid I start to go down, the power to the radios will take a while to short out.
    Great idea.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Have you thought about trying to convert the ray line to 12v. I ask because I want to try to do that but like you I may just st go with something off the shelf. The look of the lights is awesome and fits the boat perfectly in my opinion
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    Have you thought about trying to convert the ray line to 12v. I ask because I want to try to do that but like you I may just st go with something off the shelf. The look of the lights is awesome and fits the boat perfectly in my opinion
    Actually, the reason for replacing isn't necessarily the voltage, it is mostly the way it is built, its age and the brightness. It wouldn't be that hard to convert it to 12v. The 32v only feeds the light, it then goes through a buck converter inside the base to feed the motors, which are 12 volt. It is working, but the controller on the flybridge was aged quite a bit. I got a seems-new replacement for the flybridge controller off eBay for $40.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lccAAOSwVVlchuvD/s-l1600.jpg

However, while I did disassemble and clean it all up, the clutches are iffy, the motors, while they do still (miraculously) work, are ancient, and the internal wiring should probably be replaced. I did replace the connectors (most fell off during disassembly). And finally, after all that, I would want to re-chrome the housing. Oh, and it isn't that bright, so I would want to replace the light, and as you suggest, probably with 12v, since there are more options.

In any event, none of that is huge cost dollar wise, but a lot of time. Thus the reason for putting that project on hold, maybe indefinitely, and moving on with a new light. After I fabricate and paint a base for it, I think it will look fine. I am also thinking of mounting the radar up front as well, on the port side, so I think, all-in-all, it will look fine. And then I can take my time to refurbish the old one properly, if I choose. I am going with the wireless remote model, so I won't be modifying any of the old controller cables, if I decide later to put the old one back.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

8. Re: Search Light

I bought a 24v LED searchlight and a buck converter to take the 32v to 24v. Works great and I didn't have to replace the wires to carry the amperage load.
    Bill Willetts - Wilmington NC
    Snap-on Tools Executive
    Steel Drum Musician
    https://www.facebook.com/jollymonjams/

Hatteras 56MY

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    The Rayline is 12v. Inside the base of the light there is a board that converts 32v to 12v for the controls. The bulb would also have to be changed out from 32v to 12v. But the light was made as a 12v light. Rayline just build a converter board so it could be used for voltages other than 12v. And, of course, put the bulb in for that particular voltage.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI