Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Single handling,53 m/y

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    My new to me hatt is backed in but I have the option of pulling in if the weather is bad. My marina always has a dockhand or two just a radio call away in season.
    You are lucky 🍀
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I do quite a bit of single handing, and it's really no big deal. I've found the easiest way to do it is to use just one line amidship and just loop it (lasso it) around the dock cleat (or piling) and tie it back to the same cleat on the boat. This is my first line on, and my last line off. When coming in, I use one line like that, then I'll jump off the boat to make the rest pretty. Current actually makes things easier, assuming you have room to take advantage of it. One spring on or off, and you're good to go. Same deal with looping it around the dock cleat so you can cast off the line and retrieve it from the deck.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 04-10-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

As a rule we always double up the lines like Randy suggested either around pilings or cleats. It s not that difficult and this way when we re ready to leave, we cast off from the boat... another rule is that nobody gets off the boat until lines are secure.

Also i never assume people trying to help and even dock hands know what they’re doing and this is increasingly critical as boats get bigger. When pulling up to a marina where the staff is used to bigger boats, it s fine but too many times I ve seen people grabbing a line and trying to pull the boat in instead of securing it so I can spring on it

To avoid surprises I always assume nobody will be on the dock. Lines are rigged to be thrown and doubled up without assistance. I single hand a lot, not just my 53 but boats I run up to 80/90’. Every time I ve had a close call, it was always when a well intentioned person on the dock interfered.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm not very often alone but when docking with any helpers on the dock I only throw the eye end of the line, all cleating is done on the boat. Its easier to ask someone to just "put the loop around something", with a smile of course.

Walt Hoover

I agree. And, to my surprise, I have had dock attendants decline the eye end, IIRC, asking for the bitter end, which I don't understand. Mind you, this was ages ago, and my recall may be defective. I've always lassoed the piling, or used the boathook to put the loop over it. Here in the Chesapeake, we are usually blessed with mild wind and current conditions, although not always.

I've seen impressive things done with thrusters, bow in particular. But nothing, at least to me, beats the thrill of dropping a boat right into a pace only a few feet longer than the boat, on both ends, without the help of a thruster. I've done it a few times, and it always makes me feel alike an old salt.

The one thing I have never been able to do with my Hatteras is that trick where you get the boat to walk sideways. I think the rudders aren't large enough to do it; they work very well at running speed, but not at docking speeds.

Re people on the dock: Remember who’s the boss. You are, Cap’n. You decide what lines go where and when. Nothing spoils a plan like dockhands deciding how they want you to maneuver. I had an intoxicated friend once cast off my stern in a strong current on his own. By the time I got to the helm I had to go hard astern 90 degrees from dock to keep from ending up 180 degrees around and against the boat in front. Very lucky to have had a knowledgeable and sober friend able to cast off my bow on command.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The current at the City Marina needs to be respected. Lots of places probably. I watched a guy do a broad jump off a sailboat there with a dock line in hand. Just one error would have been disastrous. Not only was he the only one onboard that could operate the boat, he was not onboard anymore! The city Marina has plenty dock hands, the skipper was showing off for the novice owner. he was paid.. Unbelievable what some will do .
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Second and third the comment on people trying to man-handle these big boats. A lot a center console guys fish with me and they are always trying to pull/push the boat into position.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

A good way to break any arm or leg you want to.. put it between the boat and the dock.

I'm with those who, while appreciating the offer of help at a dock, prefer they just stay out of the way. If I'm single handing the boat, I still have to leave the helm to throw someone else a line and hope they know what to do with it. It's faster for me to just do it myself vs telling them how I want it done. With very few exceptions, I inevitably end up changing what they did after I get off the boat, so it serves little purpose unless I'm coming into a fuel dock where they use their lines.

Every time I run up the Mississippi and stop in at the infamous, Hoppies, for fuel, I have to argue with them about how/where to tie the first line. They insist on putting a line on the bow cleat, and I have to argue it needs to go farther aft on the spring. These people have been working that dock forever, and they've been dealing with that current forever, so it always baffles me, especially when they see how nicely the boat finds the dock in the current with that one spring. Yes, we go with bow and stern lines after that, just to avoid any surprises while fueling.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93