Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Single handling,53 m/y

Can you get under way from a dock just by yourself? Edward

Re: Single handling,53 m/y

Generally, yes. Strong current and wind can make that a poor choice. Close neighbors are also a big factor.

Often getting on or off by yourself in anything other than dead calm calls for a spring line looped over a cleat and an engine in gear to pin you on the dock. A little practice with helpers is recommended. I've single handed Aslan each of the last three years running from hurricanes--wonder why nobody wants to go with me?? I'm hoping for a calm 2019 season.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Getting off the dark by yourself easy. Talking by yourself that could be tricky. If you have somebody at the docks and your lines are already strung makes it a lot easier. If you have bow and stern thruster’s it’s a cakewalk.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Getting off the dark by yourself easy. Talking by yourself that could be tricky. If you have somebody at the docks and your lines are already strung makes it a lot easier. If you have bow and stern thruster’s it’s a cakewalk.
    Are you hearing voices in the dark now, Rusty?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Same as the others have stated, if no current and no wind, it's a piece of cake. Add current and/or wind to the mix and it can be a recipe for disaster.

Same with coming back into the dock, no wind/current, no problemo, but add the wrong current and/or wind and you got trouble.

An option I've had to do before, just anchor out away from the dock and call in a few people to help assist you from the dock. Or just anchor up and wait for the wind/current to die down.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Are you hearing voices in the dark now, Rusty?
    I have got to read these things before I push send.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Let’s start this again. Getting off the dock is easy. Docking by yourself can be very tricky with winds and currents, unless you have a bow and stern thruster. If you’re going to try it, have your dock lines prepared and somebody on the dock to grab a hold.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Single handling most hatt MY is very easy as the lower helm puts you just a few steps from the spring lines with excellent visibility all around. Unless it s really blowing away from a side tie dock, or u less you have a strong current ripping, these boats are easy to handle alone.

Obviously it depends of the exact situation for instance backing into a narrow slip with pilings on both side is easier than a wide slip where the boat may get sideways while you tie the lines

Home slips are easier since your lines will be in place. I always set the springs first. Along side the spring allows you to spring the boat in position and then secure bow and sterns backing into a slip, the springs prevent the stern from hitting the dock (unless the wind is coming from the stern then grabbing the stern lines is a better option)

Current can be tricky if coming sideways when backing into a slip. If the current is running along the dock, always dock bow into the current since by adjusting the boat angle you can easily move it sideways as if you had a thruster

But again the lower helm make it real easy
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Single handling most hatt MY is very easy as the lower helm puts you just a few steps from the spring lines with excellent visibility all around. Unless it s really blowing away from a side tie dock, or u less you have a strong current ripping, these boats are easy to handle alone.

Obviously it depends of the exact situation for instance backing into a narrow slip with pilings on both side is easier than a wide slip where the boat may get sideways while you tie the lines

Home slips are easier since your lines will be in place. I always set the springs first. Along side the spring allows you to spring the boat in position and then secure bow and sterns backing into a slip, the springs prevent the stern from hitting the dock (unless the wind is coming from the stern then grabbing the stern lines is a better option)

Current can be tricky if coming sideways when backing into a slip. If the current is running along the dock, always dock bow into the current since by adjusting the boat angle you can easily move it sideways as if you had a thruster

But again the lower helm make it real easy
    Of course this is assuming someone is on the dock right?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

My new to me hatt is backed in but I have the option of pulling in if the weather is bad. My marina always has a dockhand or two just a radio call away in season.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.