Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Single handling,53 m/y

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I agree. And, to my surprise, I have had dock attendants decline the eye end, IIRC, asking for the bitter end, which I don't understand.
    The eye end works better on the boat cleats, especially when running two lines to one cleat. Yes, the old argument about tying the dock to the boat is there, but it's a dumb argument IMO. Either way you have to get off the boat to untie it, and it's easier/safer to coil excess line on the dock vs the deck.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    The eye end works better on the boat cleats, especially when running two lines to one cleat. Yes, the old argument about tying the dock to the boat is there, but it's a dumb argument IMO. Either way you have to get off the boat to untie it, and it's easier/safer to coil excess line on the dock vs the deck.
    This is why we always double up the lines at transient docks. We can untie from the boat which is even more critical when single handling and the lines can be adjusted from the boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    This is why we always double up the lines at transient docks. We can untie from the boat which is even more critical when single handling and the lines can be adjusted from the boat.
    I've found that doubling just one line serves the same purpose and tends to be easier, but that's more a personal preference deal. I can secure the other lines while that one still holds me at the dock, then it's just a matter of climbing aboard and retrieving that one line. If I'm in a tight spot and/or dealing with wind/current, I'll double a spring as well. In addition, lots of boats don't have lines long enough where all can be doubled. I just remove them from the down current cleats first, but one line will hold nicely amidship.

No doubt areas with larger tidal ranges would give greater benefit to being able to adjust all the lines from the boat, but I've never had that issue.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93