Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1976 58' LRC - Under Contract - Surverys and Sea Trail Soon

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks learning as much as possible about classic Hatteras Yachts. I currently have an accepted offer on a 1976 58' LRC. I tried to post a link earlier but don't have enough posts yet to post a link to the Yachtworld listing.... but she is the one that is currently located in Key West "Buster".

I have spent about three hours on this boat so far and the upgrades noted in the listing makes this boat show very well. I understand some major items to look for during survey is soft spots on decks (especially around stations) and the bow pulpit.

I would appreciate any heads up on other big ticket items that I should focus on during the survey of this particular model Hatteras.

I have owned my current boat for 13 years (1989 44' Ocean SS Sportfish) and have replaced or upgraded almost everything on her including both fuel tanks, rebuild both 671-TI engines (subcontracted), detailed engine room, new soundproofing throughout, new electronics, rebuilt and raised all hatches, new generator, etc.... so I have some idea of those type items to look for... but I'm not super intimately familiar with the 58' LRC.

One of the main items this particular boat needs is a stabilizer system since the original stabilizer system (the entire system) was removed by a previous owner. I have been researching my options for stabilizer systems over the last 3-4 weeks.

Assuming everything goes well during surveys and sea trial, the plan for the boat is to keep her in New England during the summer and somewhere very warm in the winter.

As a native Tarheel, this seems a little like coming home again...

Any input offered would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

JD

Re: 1976 58' LRC - Under Contract - Surverys and Sea Trail Soon

Around the stantions is solid glass. The decks are cored. If you get a moisture meter near a stantion or cleat it will pick up the aluminum plate embedded in the glass.

Look for added items where penetrations were made into the decks for fasteners. That's where the problems start.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Did you sell your Ocean? I have a friend looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    This one.

Looks like a beauty!

[QUOTE=Jammin';347777]This one.

Jammin'..... yep... that's the one!... thanks for posting the listing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Did you sell your Ocean? I have a friend looking.
    Bugsy... have not sold the ocean yet.... holding off until after the surveys and sea trial of the LRC.... but I would be willing to send pics and description to anyone that is looking and interested...

my email jamesdean(at)aesnuclear(dot)com

Have your friend drop me an e-mail...

Ocean is located in Noank, CT... near Mystic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Been watching that.... nice boat.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: 1976 58' LRC - Under Contract - Surveys and Sea Trial Soon

I've found out that this 58' LRC used to be named "DUET" and was "PEYTONA II" prior to that. I did locate the listing for her on the LRC website when she was PEYTONA II.

If anyone has any history on her during those years it would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

JD

I think one of the photos shows the old name, if I read it right.

In the photos, she looks well kept and rather original, not that there is anything at all wrong with that. Not many of these were made- maybe fifteen or so? They are VERY big boats, lots of systems, etc. Always something to tinker with but all of our boats are like that.

Keep us posted, she looks like a nice one.

The current listing broker has represented her sale before. He should be your best resource for her history. IIRC she has changed hands a few times in recent years - hence the 3 different names.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"