Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Viking Sky Cruise Ship looses 4(?) engines??

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Their saying engine oil level. Ha! What a twist. Fuel is the only thing that makes sense.
    Apparently they just pulled data from the ship computers to find the cause. These are almost new engines full of sensors and recorders. Even small yachts have had system monitors for years.

the rolling or pitching motion can be such that the pick up will be exposed. Actually I once had a Northern light genset shut down on Exuma bank after one larger than average wave with a non stabilized boat
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I mean the low-oil shutdown makes sense.... but really... I mean shouldn't the capt have the ability to override that auto-shutdown?

If it were my boat, and I was in charge of all those people's lives and staring down a potential hard grounding in nasty seas I wouldn't care if I melted the engines, I would not want them to stop until they were seized. I'm good with warnings...etc and maybe an initial shutdown, but I'd want a way to override that and fire them back up.

Sometimes I really feel like we outsmart ourselves with all the 'smart' sensors deciding when stuff should shut down or quit working.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

It seems that left unobserved the corporate world will tend to prioritize protection of machinery over people. They certainly do in this case. I understand there is an obligation to protect and preserve the shareholders capital investments, but what about protecting the passengers?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I cant believe there is not an emergency override. Even outboard motors with oil injection had a low oil mode where they limited rpm for emergencies.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If there is one condition we’re you want a shut down it is oil pressure. An engine may survive a brief overheat, low fuel pressure etc but it will not survive a complete loss of oil pressure. It may survive low pressure or a brief loss, but anything sustained and it s game over. At least in this case they were able to get anchors to set and restart the engines later on
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Someone is getting fired.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

From what I gather, the oil level was within spec but on the low side. I think that says there is a design issue associated with the tanks and pickups. It would be interesting to see a schematic of the lube system, especially the shape of the tanks and capacity.
    Regards
    Dan

I would like to the schematic too. I don't understand..
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    I mean the low-oil shutdown makes sense.... but really... I mean shouldn't the capt have the ability to override that auto-shutdown?
    LOL the captain overide an auto shutdown? On these real ships, the mates don't run the ship, the engineers do.

With that said, the automation system should have a time delay on engine shutdown in case of slight variation in oil pressure. Also, assuming the guys in the engine room knew their stuff, this should not have been a big deal to solve or overide. I think there is much more to the story.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381