Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Viking Sky Cruise Ship looses 4(?) engines??

https://www.foxnews.com/world/the-la...eve-been-lucky

I know it's way too early to identify causes, but......Can anyone tell me how you lose 4 engines, and cant restart any of them?

Eventually, they were able to start one engine but I guess it wasn't enough to keep them out of trouble.

One of the main reasons I got a Hatteras was that there were two diesel engines....and having that redundancy if I ever lost/ or shut down an engine would almost always get you home.

Having four engines would I think make it statistically highly improbable that you could loose all four and also not be able to restart any of them.

Any opinions / thoughts?

Here's a Wiki Article about the boat:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Viking_Sky

Correction: It has 4 engines, but only two wheels on this boat (per Wiki Article)
    Last edited by ralexa6808; 03-25-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Re: Viking Sky Cruise Ship looses 4(?) engines??

Answer: Electronic controls. Think Blue screen on your computer.

One reason I love my mechanical DD's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have DD,s and mechanical Cummins. The only way any will stop running other than fuel is they have to actually be BROKEN! While electronics make engines quiet, more fuel efficient (debatable, certainly not on my trucks), and definitely more powerful they are way less reliable.

Then take the electronics and subject them to the worst environment ever, salty air. What could go wrong?

A number of folks (3 to be exact) at my marina bought brand new boats last year. A 38' Tiara, a 41' Back Cove and a 52' Carver.
    All had the latest in electronic controls and interface. All cost between $800k to well over a mil.

2 of the three have been nothing but trouble. The Back Cove recently went dead in the water and had to be towed in due to miscommunication between steering, autopilot and the engine.
    The Carver had issues with Generator not starting, thrusters not engaging, and transmission not going into gear.

There is something to be said for the vintage mechanical systems.

Dieeel electric. 4 generators and two propulsion electric motors. Could have been a massive electric problems where power from the gens couldn’t the sent to the motors. I know the articles say all 4 engines failed but I don’t trust what a reported these days and doubt the average journalist knows the difference between generaroenand propulsion motor.

If all 4 gens shut down then the most likely common element is fuel.

Who knows.

My beef about this and other recent incidents is the fact that they are sending Cruising ships in severe storms. These are not the sea worthy ocean liners of the 50a and 60s designed to handle the north atlantic .
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If all 4 gens shut down then the most likely common element is fuel.
    That was my first thought, the ship was rocking heavily, probably more than it ever has. I'm sure it stirred up all kinds of sludge/debris in what are massive fuel tanks. Wouldn't take much of that to plug every filter they had onboard.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Brilliant.

That aside, why did they not just tow the thing vs what was described as a, "high risk", evacuation by chopper?

I would think riding it out on the hook would be a better option, assuming the water depth would allow it. I didn't follow the story all that closely, but were the passengers in real danger or just real uncomfortable?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I looked at the AIS shortly after it happened, they drifted quite a distance until the anchors set just a couple of hundred yards from shore. They were within minutes of grounding on a rocky shoreline driven by 40kts winds and 20’ seas.

I guess no ocean going tug could get on scene quickly enough
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Their saying engine oil level. Ha! What a twist. Fuel is the only thing that makes sense.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"