Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Replacement faucets for heads

The time has come to replace all three faucets in our heads. The problem is that the OEM units are Delta 522’s, which are pretty common, but they have 3/8’ flare fittings on the supply lines. All the ones I can find are using the standard flex lines as opposed to copper flare fittings. Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do?

BTW, this project began with trying to replace the aerators and wringing the fitting off the faucets. 2 out of three broke the end off the internal pipe when I tried to loosen the cartridge.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Replacement faucets for heads

I am about to go down this path. Can't you solder fittings onto the copper supply lines and use the flex hose/fittings that come with the faucets? Actually, you can probably find flare fittings that attach the the copper lines (no need to solder) and attach the flex lines directly to those. In any event, unless someone cites ABYC advice, I think I will head towards the flex lines.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Research has shown that there are adapters to go from 3/8” flare to 3/8” compression which will allow any modern faucet to be used. Just be sure that the adapter is suitable for potable water, some have lead in the alloy which can leach into the water.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Cut the copper lines, slip on SharkByte valves and then run the flexible braided hose from the valve to faucet.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is shark bite boat safe?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I ve redone all my plumbing then. Some have been in place for 3 years. Not a drip. I’ve tested bunoulling, shaking, misaligning. Great stuff
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just finishing an upgrade on a 1980 61 Hat MY. Upgraded 2 bath vanities and galley sink. I cut the 3/8 copper lines , attached 3/8 copper compression fittings to the copper end, stainless flex to the other compression fitting thread, and flex to the faucets. PJ61

When I did mine, I used a compression coupling on the copper tubing side, installed a cutoff valve, then ran flex to the fixture.

I used adapters. I don't like the idea of a sharkbite or compression or solder when Hatteras only used flares. The other methods of connection are probably just fine, however.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like the idea of adding valves/stops to the individual water lines. I was surprised to find that Hatteras neglected to use them originally. I like being able to isolate a single faucet so I don’t have to shut off the water to the entire boat if one faucet fails.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht