Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rub rail screws

Rub rail screws

Anyone have any idea what size screws are used to hold the stainless rub rail in place? I need to replace a bunch of them. Not near the boat to figure it out myself

Re: Rub rail screws

Mine had 1 1/4” #8 square drive counter sunk screws. The original are monel not stainless. I replaced with 1 1/2” of the same quality.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Looking for the monel. Tough to find. You said yours were countersunk? Do you don’t have the stainless rubrail?

It is a stainless rub rail. I meant flush head. Oops
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Quote Originally Posted by Jim saco View Post
    Mine had 1 1/4” #8 square drive counter sunk screws. The original are monel not stainless. I replaced with 1 1/2” of the same quality.
    Jim, using the same diameter screw is fine if it still holds well, but on my boat when I removed the SS
    rub rail I found that the #8 screws went in much too easy so I replaced them with #10. I believe that
    Steve at SAM'S can get you monel screws or use 316L SS (American made). Lots of import 316 is crap
    and you shouldn't waste your money on them. Pay a little more up front and you only need to do it once,
    otherwise you will be buying new screws again after you realize you've been screwed by poor quality.

Walt

If you can't get them from Sam's try Mcmaster-Carr. I have bought some of their 316SS items over the years and they are holding up fine.

#8 1 1/4”. 4200
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The next rub rail problem..... on mine, several of the screw heads have broken off leaving the shaft of the screw buried. Any good tips on extracting other than a smaller drill and extractor? Tough to keep the skinny drill bit parked on the broken stub.

remove the rubrail, dig around the screw enough to get a pair of needle nose vicegrips on the screw, most of the time they come out easy. unscrew then replace the rubrail and it will hide the area that you dug out to get to the screw
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I need to replace a few of these on my rub rail and swim platform rub rail. A few are protruding from the rail and are actually bent, not broken. I would think if I replace these with SS, they's snap instead of bending, so it would seem the originals would be a better choice.

Has anyone found a source for chrome plated monel screws? If not, would silicone bronze be a good substitute?