Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water intrsion.

Water intrsion.

Detroit 6-71TIC 1986 43 MY. After cruising for about 8 hours we have lots of water directly
    under the STB engine. Clear no odor, cool and perfectly clean. Since the area under the engine
    is walled off, like box, with no outlets, the only way water can get there is from the engine or the
    outside. At rest there is no water. Anybody have any idea? Help!!!!
    Thanks
    Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

Re: Water intrsion.

Fresh or salt?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Check your rudder stuffing box and shaft stuffing box. I had water going underneath my engine from a leaky rudder stuffing box.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

If you re sure there are no limber holes for water tobget in there and if the stuffing box is outside then it has to come from the engine. Check all the water hoses, look for any sign of salt residue, fire up the engine and ran it up a bit while looking
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks, Fresh water and there is no opening in the area. Rudder water
    goes thru a pipe to the forward bilge pump.
    Thanks again,
    Werner Schoenknecht MIRAGE

On my 43 there was a hole drilled between the engine bed and bilge. It was plugged with plumbers putty. My conclusion was it was to drain the engine bed area once upon a time. My bet is your dealing with something similar, and the putty may have started leaking. There are quite a few spots where water can accumulate under the floorboards. Perhaps ac condensate. The engine cant make fresh water. Assuming its in salt?
    Last edited by Finalee; 03-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Schoenknecht View Post
    Detroit 6-71TIC 1986 43 MY. After cruising for about 8 hours we have lots of water directlyunder the STB engine. Clear no odor, cool and perfectly clean. Since the area under the engine is walled off, like box, with no outlets, the only way water can get there is from the engine or theoutside. At rest there is no water. Anybody have any idea? Help!!!! ThanksWerner Schoenknecht MIRAGE
    Consider water forward that sloshed back with high angle of attack. A significant amount of water could out pace the bilge pump and get over the transverse stringer into the engine bed. On my boat, the transverse stringers are lower than the longitudinal stringers at the engine beds.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Werner is in Lake Huron, so even cooling water will be fresh water. Not as easy to troubleshoot as when your boat is in salt water.

My guess is a raw water leak on that engine. Check hoses and clamps.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Could be the shaft seals leaking if you don't have the dripless type. I get water in my bilge on long runs under both engines. I have the old school seals that drip. Im talking 12 hours or more of running.

Recently had the same indication. Turned out to be the raw water pump. At first just leaked while running then eventually began to leak some at the dock. Simple fix. Good luck.