Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine Room: Sound Insulation Material and Paneling

Hi folks - hope you don't mind a Hatt admirer asking a question - this forum seems extraordinarily knowledgeable on 1970's vintage fiberglass boats. I am restoring a 1970 Willard 36-foot Trawler and am looking for recommendations and sources for two items: First, sound-deadening insulation for an engine room. Second, paneling material to enclose the insulation. Most boats of this era appeared to have some sort of perforated paneling (think: peg board), but I've never looked closely at it to know what it is.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Peter
    Willard 36 Sedan
    Ensenada MX

Re: Engine Room: Sound Insulation Material and Paneling

Hi Peter,

I plan to use this http://www.wricointernational.com/ge...reduction.html
    when I build a box around my generator.

Hope this helps.

3. Re: Engine Room: Sound Insulation Material and Paneling

Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

mineral wool panels are what are between the engine room and salon floor in my vessel

On my last Hatteras (1982 48 MY), we removed all the original sound proofing material that was starting
    to flake off and replaced it with Soundown. It made a remarkable difference and the silver skin really
    brightened up the ER. It was not an easy job as everything that was attached to the bulkheads needed
    be un-done and then re attached after installing new material. The effort was worth it. Too bad you are
    so far away as I have a large roll left over which I can sell cheap but shipping costs would not be worth
    it. I'm sure you can get some locally however. Good luck with your project.

Walt

I recently redid my engine rooms. Hatteras built them using 2” soundown rigid foam board and overlaid it with 1/4 plywood on the ceiling, inboard and outboard walls. The for and aft walls are 1/2 I was surprised that Hatteras left a lot of empty voids and didn’t try to block all the spots noise could have passed thru. I Filled in those spots and added new plywood coated in polyester resin and finished the out side surface with one layer of fiberglass Matt and gel coat.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I recently redid my engine rooms. Hatteras built them using 2” soundown rigid foam board and overlaid it with 1/4 plywood on the ceiling, inboard and outboard walls. The for and aft walls are 1/2 I was surprised that Hatteras left a lot of empty voids and didn’t try to block all the spots noise could have passed thru. I Filled in those spots and added new plywood coated in polyester resin and finished the out side surface with one layer of fiberglass Matt and gel coat.
    I'd like to see that. Post some pics, please. Sounds amazing. (pun intended)
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky I find it difficult on this site to upload a bunch of pics. Please go to my Instagram site Instagram/xjs69. You don’t need an account just google it.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575