Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 53 hatteras

53 hatteras

Hi All

I am currently looking at a boat in Long Island...a 58 CPMY (1978). This boat has the usual 871 ti engines, but they seem to be long in the tooth (3500). They started up within a few seconds, not too much smoke, which stopped after several minutes.

1. Are these motors too old to have life left in them ?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this boat ? I found it on yachtworld. visited it , made an offer and it was accepted, as per the usual conditions.

Regards

mderlick

Re: 53 hatteras

Too little information to know for sure. You will need an engine survey. Hours alone cannot be used an indication of longevity.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3500 hours is not much for those engines if they where treated right. Best way to find out is to find a good Detroit Diesel engine survey. I’ve seen 8V71’s with 10,000 hours that still run great. What’s the name on the boat?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Is it the one that is selling for $99,000? If so lots of work a head of you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just to be sure your post is labeled 53’ Hatteras yet you’re asking about a 58’. Just try to find which one you’re inquiring about.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Is it the one that is selling for $99,000? If so lots of work a head of you.
    That's the one ! I passed on this boat several times, because the pics were so bad. However, upon visiting the vessel, I was pleasantly surprised. It is quite presentable. Stabilizers, loads of electronics (dated, but useable), lots of appliances (some new) . It is a 58 CPMY. (53 with a cockpit).

My original impressions after seeing this boat is : needs lots of cosmetic work, but appears solid. I will know more after the engine and general surveys are finished.

Do you know this boat ? If so, anything I can find out about it would be helpful.

regards

mderlick

Get a serious and thorough survey from a DD man on the engines and gears, and an equally serious and thorough survey on the hull and everything else as well. If this were the queen of the fleet, she might be worth 300+ on a very good day- at an ask of 99K, you are likely to have some extensive work and updates ahead of you. Be prepared to walk away, nad don't fall in love until after she passes all her surveys, sea trial, insurability, etc. And even then you're going to have some surprises and an even larger number of "while you're in there"s...

Make sure the stabilizers work and do not leak oil. Inspect both bow and stern thrusters those are pricey if not working, air conditioning should also be tested.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Make sure the stabilizers work and do not leak oil. Inspect both bow and stern thrusters those are pricey if not working, air conditioning should also be tested.
    Stabilizer oil leaks are easily fixed (usually just a feedback assembly or cylinder). IF they leak water, the bearings and shafts can be junk and that is when it gets expensive.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Check out the Onan generator also, they are old and obsolete.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd