Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transferring Fuel

How fast does an 8v71TI engine transfer fuel from one tank to the other, at idle, if I switch the return to the other tank?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Transferring Fuel

Fast.

I don't know the answer, but I know when we had our 43DC, we did try to balance a list by transferring fuel from one tank to the other and we always overshot it.

guess: maybe 5 gal/min
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks. That was the info I was looking for. I was a little low on one tank versus the other and was wondering if I could balance the tanks this way.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Danger, danger Will Robinson! I've used the return lines to balance the tanks...and... I've also run a tank dry by forgetting that I both returns to one tank! That's why I always carry 5 gallons of diesel and a manual priming pump on board. An electric pump would be the way to go. If your boat is like mine, you hold about 1,200 gallons (1186), Split about 650 and 535, and the sight guages aren't terribly accurate...so, just keep them both full.. like we say on the plane... The only time you are carrying too much fuel... is when your on fire!

Do you have a link to the manual priming pump?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Do you have a link to the manual priming pump?
    I got mine from diesel parts direct in Louisana. It's overkill for what you need. Mine has a pressure gauge, and it's main use it to pressurize the fuel system to find leaking injector jumpers, and other leaks. It works just fine to prime the system as well. But any diesel fuel resistant manual pump, with the right fittings will work

Diesel Parts Direct

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    like we say on the plane... The only time you are carrying too much fuel... is when your on fire!
    Or if you're overweight for landing......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay