Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Installing Converter / House battery system 68 Hatteras

Battery Converter. 1968 Hatteras. Installing a Progressive Dynamics Marine Converter and setting up a separate house battery bank. Currently the boats house DC system runs off the engine batteries.

Question. Has anyone every install converter on an old system? Would you bypass the battery parallel switch set up and wire the house battery bank and converter directly to the house panel?IMG_4524.jpgIMG_4521.jpg

Re: Installing Converter / House battery system 68 Hatteras

The 41c has 2 8d batteries. One for start and the other f9rnstart and house loads. A 3rd battery can be used for the generator.

I'm not familiar with the charger your looking at but it seems basic.

I'd look at a 60 amp 3 bank charger like a victron ip44-3. Add a remote panel panel for monitoring your batteries voltage and control the charger. It's also NMEA2000 so it can be used with current electronics.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: Installing Converter / House battery system 68 Hatteras

I would definitely run new marine cables to the electrical panel and replace the original switch with a new on/off switch. The charging wires can go either to the battery terminal or to the batt switch feed terminal.

You also need to add a combiner to be able to charge the house bank from the engine alternators while underway in case you can’t or don’t want to runthe genny
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat