Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tightening hose clamps

Don’t know how often you guys tighten your hose clamps on your engines, but if you don’t at least check them every 6 months you might be sorry. I did mine about a year ago and was running this weekend and saw a water leak above the transmission, so after we stopped I tried tightening the hose clamps in that area and one was very loose and broke as I was tightening it, so I replaced it and no further leak. When I got back home I checked all my clamps and quite a few needed at least a quarter of a turn tightening, a couple needed even more. That is now on my 6 month check list. I quest vibration slowly causes loosening. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Tightening hose clamps

I normally do mine once a season and I do find some have loosened. I’ll add it in every 6 months now. Thanks for the heads up John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thumbs up Tightening hose clamps

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I normally do mine once a season and I do find some have loosened. I’ll add it in every 6 months now. Thanks for the heads up John.

+1

Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Something that works for me. Even the best clamps start rusting when they're clamped onto salty hoses. For all hoses, I paint the hose and the clamps with phosphoric acid. I'm trying to neutralize, or at least temporarily so, the rust. Seems to work. So, don't just tighten them. Loosen and rotate them around to look at the undersides or the inside for signs. Any clamp with more than surface corrosion get tossed.

I've steadily been upgrading to T-bolt clamps over the years where applicable, BTW.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

In the smaller sizes heavy duty “316” stainless clamps without the holes in them offer better corrosion resistance and stay tighter as the hose material can’t deform through the holes as is possible with standard hose clamps. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/aba-o...2?recordNum=29
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA