Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Leaking Fuel Cap Fittings

I had some firemen fish with me this past year. They scrubbed the boat for me on the trip in. Next time I came down I had water standing in the top bunk of one state room and in the dinette cabinet. Only place I could see would be the windows. They scrubbed so hard I guess they knocked some of the old brittle caulk loose. I could see places where it was missing but thought it would be bedded in the frame. Anyway I cleaned with solvent and ran a bead of clear 3M marine silicone between the frame and fiberglass on top of the old caulk. I haven't had any issues since and there have been some strong rains.

Regarding your leaking Fuller port light.

The dirt I see on the inside ring and the damaged interior plywood veneer to me looks like a leaking port light gasket.

On my boat, I had a port light leak just like the one you have and found the gasket to be hardened and useless.

I replaced the gasket on this and all the other port lights. The leaking stopped and has remained dry since replacing almost 2 years ago. Sams has them.

Jon
    Last edited by jrbrein; 03-20-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

The last few days has seen a lot of activity. I purchased a multi tool to cut out the floor. What a great device. So easy to cut plywood in a straight line and to remove old floor in corners. Where I have cut out the flooring, I will put in a hatch. There is some rotten floorboard behind the red fuel hoses but I can't see any issues leaving it in place. Difficult to remove. More difficult to replace.

In the end, the little name plate screws, the fuel fill fittings and the deck drain all contributed to the leaks. During tests, water from the deck drain was dripping onto the wiring that ran behind the bed dripping into the crevices. Water coming down the red hoses damaged the cupboard floor. We also found that the washers and nuts were missing from the staunchion/rail bolts near the fuel filling caps. Perhaps these leaked too.

Liberal use of white silicone, Captain Tolleys leak fix liquid was applied to all deck fittings and drains. Twin cabin port lights resealed between port and trim ring. Any screw or bolt on port side got Captain Tolleys treatment and silicon. Port deck drain was cleaned up and resealed. Twin cabin windows resealed between port and trim ring.

Have shaved 2" off bottom of rear cupboard panel which was damaged by water.

water test.jpg
    Testing all the leak remediation measures.

seal ports.JPG
    Resealing the twin cabin ports.

rail bolts.jpg
    Rail bolts appear to have had washers and nuts removed. Evidence of leaks here.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I may be wrong but I don’t believe there were washers and nuts put in from the factory. I changed out all of my stansion screws to new polished SS and they all came out. I re-bed the threads and no leaks. Again I can be wrong but I think the fiberglass is either threaded or a bolt is embedded in the fiberglass.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On some of the boats, mine included, metal plates were glassed into the rail where the stancions are and the plates were tapped so the bolts screwed into the plates, no nuts or washers. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

On my 1967 44 Triple Cabin there were metal threaded inserts glassed into the original fiberglass I only know because i had a cleat pull through the deck on the bow during hurricane Florence. When it ripped out it left a 1/2" hole when i removed the cleat to re-bed it.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

The repairs to the drains continued and thought I was temporarily finished. Just as I was closing up the cupboard thinking job done, I noticed a big pool of water on the floor.

Looking at the deck drain pipe elbow there was now a 1/8" hole in it letting in light. A quick fix with epoxy bond and the realisation the elbow fitting was truly worn out after 35 years.

I decided to find the starboard side drain fitting and removed panels in the bathroom cupboard. iPhone photo was not good. I gave the drain's elbow fitting a tug and it crumbled in my hands. Only a short tail was left. I had some 1.5” hose and ran it from the short tail to the bathroom sink. The sump pump would have to deal with the rain until the port and starboard deck drain repairs are complete.

Stb Fitting1.jpg
    Starboard Side: Problem behind bathroom paneling. At least there is access.

stb fitting3.jpg
    Crumbled in my hands.

The issue is the drain elbow is chromed metal and not stainless. Water pools in the elbow rather than draining away. Australia has gone metric so 1.5” plumbing fittings don’t exist. Have sent an email for parts to Sam. If you have these metal deck drain elbows in your boat, it’s time to check them.

IMG_6687.jpg
    Short term deck drain solution.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-24-2019 at 10:31 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Its rained constantly the past 10 days in Sydney. Good for finding leaks. Special imperial sized deck drain parts ordered express from Sam's last week have been freely traveling the world were last seen in Bangkok which is helpful.

Today there was a puddle of water on the floor of the twin cabin cupboard. The port side grey bendy hose had become brittle with age and snapped in my hand where it went through the bulkhead into the engine room. The port deck drain now has an emergency funnel underneath it and 1" hose going to a break in the 2" grey bendy hose in the port engine room. (The grey bendy hose is now all solid, brittle and definitely no longer bends. I presume this will be the same for all the grey spiral hoses.)

I have 60' of replacement 1.5" bendy hose and 20 hose clamps arriving tomorrow. Forecast is for rain.

My question is: "If water is draining from the deck above, why do I need the S bend at the thru hull fitting." I quite understand installing an S bend if its for a pump located below the waterline. The galley sink above also has the S bend. All I can think of is dirt and gunk getting stuck in the bend. Can I remove these S bends?

IMG_6750[1].jpg
    Snapped brittle unbendy hose where it goes through the engine room bulkhead.

IMG_6749[1].jpg
    S Bends for galley and front deck drain. Do I need the S bends?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 04-04-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

I removed my s bends when replacing all my deck drains. Only downside if I can call it that is noise of water echoing up drains on aft deck area in light chop. For that noise reason and generator exhaust fumes blowing back up drain I kept s bend on galley drain.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.