Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leaking Fuel Cap Fittings

Following on from last weeks post about the TMC toilet hose splitting and filling up the starboard central bilge with salt water, we have now had several days of rain.

The port bilge has started filling up with fresh water. Starting my search for the cause in the twin cabin I pulled up the carpet in the cupboard. Sodden. And also a nasty surprise left by a previous owner.....

Floor.jpg

Photo shows corner of cupboard floor cut out. Previous owner had said that a leak through port engine room near battery box bulkhead had been repaired during his ownership. PO would not have done this work himself or even looked at it, so I guess this is what the tradesman left behind. The guy could have cut into the fuel hose....

I removed the entire back panel of cupboard and found more surprises....

Leak Photo.jpg

Fitting 2.jpg

Water appears to be running down red hose of aft fuel tank deck fitting. The hose was very wet. Other fitting appeared to have minor leak. Seems the "tradesman" simply cut out the floor to stop water flow damaging engine room bulkhead. Floorboard out into twin cabin was wet. Wetness disguised past 3 years by double sided silver underlay. I have not noticed any water in fuel issues.

A proper repair for the hose fittings looks a nasty job. The port front deck drain fitting did not look much better and underneath is covered in green verdigris.

My first response is to stop the immediate leaking and then regroup. A previous post recommended this product ex UK....

http://www.captaintolley.com/

and I bought some a couple of months ago.

Can't remember if fuel deck fittings have screws through the deck. Could these be unscrewed and fitting pulled up 1.5" for repair and sealing?

Any other ideas for a simple fix? I have carpet, underlay cupboard and boards all drying out now.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-18-2019 at 03:43 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Leaking Fuel Cap Fittings

Fitting1.jpg
    Here's a photo of the underside of deck drain. Not sure how I am gong to clean and reseal this yet. Perhaps it will be possible using silicon sealant above deck around the drain.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Scott, what a mess. Capt Tolley works great in small cracks. Looks like you may have some larger openings.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Don't mean to pile on, but you're probably also going to find that the balsa core around the fuel fill is rotted black goo. That's what I found on my 79 43C. I had to cut out and repair the gunwales both sides and across the stern. All for the want of proper bedding.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

So it rained again overnight and I went to check on the red fuel hoses. The aft tank hose was certainly moist to touch. Where the fuel hose went through the flooring was in fact dry. Outside the cupboard, the flooring was wet near the corner of the bed/drawers.

So although the aft fuel hose deck fitting is leaking some water, its not the culprit of the major floor flood. Where else? I lifted the outboard mattress and stuck my noggin though the access hatch into the area behind the drawers. Surprise surprise.....

Water was sitting in two separate molded fibreglass hull crevices above the flooring. It was overflowing onto the boards and pooling at the corner of bed/drawers/cupboard.

Bed7.jpg

Oh well, why not turn everything upside down.... mattress moved out of way ....

Bed4.jpg

.... and be greeted by two 3' long pools of water in a crevice along hull side....

Bed2.jpg

.... that overflowed and went to corner of drawers/ bed/cupboard and hence through the flooring.

Ok, so the main source of the flooring leak has been identified. The floor only becomes wet after rain and when the boat is moving and rocking allowing water from the "reservoirs" to flow over.

The only place the water could have entered the two separate crevices was from above. The only things above are the two portholes and, please go to next post....
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-19-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

...... water has apparently started leaking down the outside of the afromosia. If its running down the outside of the afromosia, it must, theoretically, be running down the inside of the afromosia (or inside of hull) and pooling in the two fibreglass crevices below. I guess I did not notice water marks until now as the wood had all been oiled a couple of times by someone else.

Bed3.jpg

So we move on..... how do I reseal the old Fuller brand ports please? Is the outside dressing ring pressed on or glued on? would it be possible to remove outside dressing ring and reseal between hull and portlight? A flexible UV outdoor natural cure white sealant is what I have in mind. I don't wish to remove portlights if I dont have to.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-19-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Portlights are in with 5200. The outside trim ring has 5200 and screws. You can usually stop the leak by just caulking the joint between the portlight and the trim ring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks. I thought that may be the answer. Will the outside trim rings come off reasonably easily or will I need to have to purchase new? We do not have 5200 over here, but understand its an American adhesive.

How would rings best be removed without damaging paint?
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

The rings will come off in pieces because they will break due to the 5200 adhesive. It could also damage the paint on the hull if you’re not careful. I’d try replacing the seal in the plastic port and recaulk the screws with 4200.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    The rings will come off in pieces because they will break due to the 5200 adhesive. It could also damage the paint on the hull if you’re not careful. I’d try replacing the seal in the plastic port and recaulk the screws with 4200.
    Doubt its the screws or the seal. Its most likely the caulk breaking down in the groove between the trim ring and the port itself. Don't pull the ring. Just dig out whatever caulk you can get in the groove and re-caulk with something UV stable like 3M 4000.

I've done this several years ago on one of mine and on two of them on a 60MY and no leaks since.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-19-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI