Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice for a noob

I’m in the process of looking for a Hatteras 53/58 (or 54/56) and although I have been around boats all my life (currently own a 32’ sailboat) this will be my first large powerboat. I am mechanically inclined, turn my own wrench on my classic cars, and am reasonably handy but would like to get up the learning curve on the systems these boats have. What courses, YouTube series, videos or manuals would you recommend so that I can hit the ground running when I find “the one”. Thanks for your input on this.

Re: Advice for a noob

I was in a very similar situation as you last year at this time. The best advice I can give is “no matter what you study, it won’t be on the test😎. Read this forum and take the issues one at a time. Lots of REALLY helpful people here and years of great suggestions in the archives. With older boats you can almost become a “boatochondriac“ and start imagining problems you don’t have. Tackle the real ones as they come up and on the journey you’ll learn things about these boats you never knew existed. And a lot of us will learn right along with you.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Clearly, this twelve part series is a must for any vintage Hatteras owner.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_Qa38KNBA
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    With older boats you can almost become a “boatochondriac“ and start imagining problems you don’t have.
    John,

That is a good one!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Here's another interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQPlavvD5I

Best advice I could give is to go cruise the marinas and yacht clubs and talk to other Hatteras owners. People love to talk about their boats and we capitalized on that in our efforts to gather information and decide on which model Hatt to buy. We actually offered to crew for our previous owner during several outings years before making the purchase so we could see how he handled the boat and how it felt under power.

IMHO Forums and videos are great and provide a wealth of info but they'll only take you so far.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Buy your Hatt from a frequent forum poster and get the inside story you’ll never get from a survey.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Buy your Hatt from a frequent forum poster and get the inside story you’ll never get from a survey.
    +1 (if possible)
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Clearly, this twelve part series is a must for any vintage Hatteras owner.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_Qa38KNBA
    I watched all 12 of those videos and they are all full of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I watched all 12 of those videos and they are all full of crap
    And your point is?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    I was in a very similar situation as you last year at this time. The best advice I can give is “no matter what you study, it won’t be on the test. Read this forum and take the issues one at a time. Lots of REALLY helpful people here and years of great suggestions in the archives. With older boats you can almost become a “boatochondriac“ and start imagining problems you don’t have. Tackle the real ones as they come up and on the journey you’ll learn things about these boats you never knew existed. And a lot of us will learn right along with you.
    Sound advice my friend.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California