Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Leaking Fuel Cap Fittings

Following on from last weeks post about the TMC toilet hose splitting and filling up the starboard central bilge with salt water, we have now had several days of rain.

The port bilge has started filling up with fresh water. Starting my search for the cause in the twin cabin I pulled up the carpet in the cupboard. Sodden. And also a nasty surprise left by a previous owner.....

Floor.jpg

Photo shows corner of cupboard floor cut out. Previous owner had said that a leak through port engine room near battery box bulkhead had been repaired during his ownership. PO would not have done this work himself or even looked at it, so I guess this is what the tradesman left behind. The guy could have cut into the fuel hose....

I removed the entire back panel of cupboard and found more surprises....

Leak Photo.jpg

Fitting 2.jpg

Water appears to be running down red hose of aft fuel tank deck fitting. The hose was very wet. Other fitting appeared to have minor leak. Seems the "tradesman" simply cut out the floor to stop water flow damaging engine room bulkhead. Floorboard out into twin cabin was wet. Wetness disguised past 3 years by double sided silver underlay. I have not noticed any water in fuel issues.

A proper repair for the hose fittings looks a nasty job. The port front deck drain fitting did not look much better and underneath is covered in green verdigris.

My first response is to stop the immediate leaking and then regroup. A previous post recommended this product ex UK....

http://www.captaintolley.com/

and I bought some a couple of months ago.

Can't remember if fuel deck fittings have screws through the deck. Could these be unscrewed and fitting pulled up 1.5" for repair and sealing?

Any other ideas for a simple fix? I have carpet, underlay cupboard and boards all drying out now.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-18-2019 at 03:43 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.