Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

FP aftermarket parts

So my starboard engine (671ti 450hp) was starting to smoke a little once warm, my mechanic pulled the head and we observed the bad news. A cracked head that had U valves and a bad hole with broken rings. Hats off to Detroit as this engine still would reach max rated rpms and no smoke (observable)at cruise. I’m now faced with fixing these old engines (must assume port engine has wrong valves too)or repower. OEM parts are stupid expensive so I’ve been looking at FP. They’re made by Federal (US company) and have been in production for years. My old school mechanic wants to us nothing but OEM but I can’t find anyone using FP that complains. I’ve read FP is equal or better than OEM quality wise, does anyone here have experience?
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Re: FP aftermarket parts

Mike, have you looked on the boatdiesel.com forum on this? You might be able to get a better idea whether their stuff is okay for your use. Good luck on it, sounds painful.

Repower if possible.

No reason to run the green grenades. 450 to 485 hp on the 671 was just too much.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Check your serial number with DD. My 12V71ti came with U valves from the factory. Not all Ti's had J valves. Aftermarket parts are fine. Call Troy at Powerline Components to confirm what valves your engine should have.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 03-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.

I’ve been reading at boatdiesel and so far no bad reviews of FP parts. I just need to decide if throwing $$ at these old Detroit’s makes sense. Fresh rebuilds adds little to no value to the hull but repower with new 4 strokes? Maybe $.50 on the dollar, but a lot of dollars.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Hello,

I just finished rebuilding my Cummins 903M natural with a FP kit. I felt the price was reasonable even with a few extra parts we needed and my engine builder was very happy with the components. We haven't run it yet so I cannot say anything about how good the parts are but he has built a lot of engines using these parts.

Walt Hoover

Interstate Mcbee In Ohio Is another GREAT aftermarket source