Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Alexseal Paint Color

Reviving this old thread as it popped up in a google search I just did looking for tips on alexseal

I m starting to do some painting on my 53 and have decided to go with Alexseal…

1)- it is now used by many high end builders incl Hatteras, before they stopped building anything…
    2)- it can rolled. They came up with a new rolling additive (A5018) a couple of years ago which eliminates the need for tipping
    3)- it can be repaired and patched and matched and blended

I did a new anchor locker hatch I built out of Coosa and the result was pretty impressive. Nice deep gloss, no need to tip. I m about to (finally) do my starboard side coosa weather board replacements later in the week. I already have it all prepped and primed with Alexseal primer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have rolled Alexseal using the rolling additive, works wonderfully. Alexseal cream is very similar to the Awlgrip H8002 that I have been using.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

A friend of mine with a 53 painted his with Alexseal. In the areas of touchup, it was so easy to sand, fill and touch up. It looked as if it was sprayed on. He and I are both very pleased with the ease of application and performance thus far.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Don’t try it if it is going to be cold lower than 60 or damp. We fought it when we painted our Tug in Kent Island to late in the season.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Surface temp is critical .

i just put some alexseal on today in 67 degree temp, going down to the high 40's tonight. i will report back what it looks like tomorrow'

Pascal, if you want to build coats you can put the next coat without sanding as long as it is within 24 hours of the first coat.

look on youtube at boatworks today, andy has a few videos about alexseal
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

as mentioned above, be careful of moisture/high humidity it will dull the paint if not dried for quite a while(ask me how i know) you need about 5 hours of dry time if dew is going to settle on your painted parts
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I think this is true if any paint and brighwork. I ve had issues with Awlwood and dew
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

my paint dried fine with a nice gloss, second coat on today. a little bit colder today, 60 high going down to high 30s. i put the paint on at 11:30-12:00 we will see how it turns out.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    my paint dried fine with a nice gloss, second coat on today. a little bit colder today, 60 high going down to high 30s. i put the paint on at 11:30-12:00 we will see how it turns out.
    There's a thing called the 15 degree rule with catalyzed urethanes. recommended application temp is 70 degrees 50% humidity Lets say the recommended application conditions give you 4-hour pot life and 3-hour dry time. for every 15 degree variation one either divides the pot life and dry time by 2 or one multiplies it by two depending on which direction the temp is heading. so 85 degree conditions would give you 2 hour pot life and 1.5 hour cure. 55 degree would give you 8 hour pot life and 6 hour cure. Problem with low temps and cross linked urethanes such as the subject paints is that below 60 degrees the cross linking doesnt occur as designed. the paint will dry and be glossy but wont develop the designed hardness so it will wear out faster and accept dirt more readily into its pores. one could apply the paint at 60 but the entire cure time would need to stay at 60 and not fall below.