Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Alexseal Paint Color

The guy who did the Awlcraft spray job on my Roamer was the painter at Weaver Boatworks for 15 years. He's sprayed Awlgrip, Awlcraft, Imron, and Alexseal on dozens of high-end sportfishermen. He recently said that there's a noticeable loss of gloss with Alexseal. Awlgrip holds the shine longest but can't be patch repaired. Awlcraft is next regarding shine retention, but it can be color-sanded and buffed and even patch repaired. As Jim mentioned, Awlgrip products also roll and tip very nicely.

I decided that if it was good enough for Aslan, it was good enough for me.
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Wow. I hope you’re as pleased as I’ve been. Big, BIG key to success is proper roller that won’t come apart on you. Good luck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have done a bunch of small boats , roll and tip with perfection and yes if comes out very nice, but no where near as good or as long lasting as the real Awlgrip. What ever any of you decide to do on your boats, do not!!!! Use Sterling, I have had nothing but problems with there color matches between different cans of paint that were labeled as being from the same production batch. Also be careful with mixing old paint with new low VOC thinners and catalyst. They are not really compatible. Good luck. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Does all grip come in a standard off-white for a 1979 Hatteras?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check this youtube video. This guy is really good and shows how he tried alexseal and just rolled it without tipping. I'm thinking of doing my 52c with it. I have used both Awlgrip and Quantum 99 and had preferred the Quantum 99 but this Alexseal looks really good if you can't spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2u2RShmZs&t=383s

I used AwlGRip Oyster White, which is a standard color of theirs. You'll have to see how well it matches your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I used AwlGRip Oyster White, which is a standard color of theirs. You'll have to see how well it matches your boat.
    This is exactly what my 1976 LRC was painted with...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

My 44 TC was painted by a boatyard in 2011 in Wilmington, NC who performed very poor prep work but I can say the Alexseal paint that was used shines beautifully. I was told by the Alexseal rep a couple months ago that they could match my current paint from my boat if I could give them a piece of the boat that had been painted to color match to allow for fade over the past 9 years and I would only have to go to Charleston, SC to have it matched which isn't far for me.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

For what it may be worth, we painted over the gelcoat on an elderly Wellcraft Coastal 248 with white Interlux Perfection.
    We used a roller and foam brush to tip. The paint job looked great; however, after about 10 years, the paint started flaking off. I'm not inclined to go to the expense and extra work of using a two part paint to touch up and has some Petit one part poly on hand which matched reasonably well and will see how that works.

I've used Imron to touch up areas on the Hatteras with roller and brush and was very pleased with the results. No problem with adhesion for the Imron.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956