Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

66 34 convertible

Hope this is a good place to post my message, don't see a newbies thread. Anyhow, have recently aquired a 1966 34 convertible and am looking for the best threads and info regarding restoration and repower options. boat, as far as I can tell, is mostly original and in need of repairs and tlc. interior isn't actually all that bad but, repower, cockpit and windows are at the top of the list. Had alot of dealings with Steve McPhereson in the 80's-90's, would love to chat with him. planning purchase parts mainly from Sams' in Lauderdale. anyone who could provide info on wiring, drawings, particularly engine room, etc., would be great. this boat actually had the original literature from Hatteras on board. Not sure how complete it is. Am in Stuart, Florida and worked at Stuart Hatteras for years. Have seen a couple of my restored boat in the area. Thanks

Re: 66 34 convertible

I have the exact some boat. I can help you a lot. As can everyone else here. If your cockpit is rotted so is the beam under the aft bulkhead. We just finished replacing that. Was not as big a deal as I thought it would be but it took some creativity. As for power if going Diesel we have Cummins 270HP that push the boat just fine. Would recommend the 330 or 370 as they fit better.

Also check out on the hull truth forum. Under boating there is a thread by "Micky" where he resurrected one over 3 years.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for reply. It's gonna be a project for sure. don't think it's had a bunch if owners but, someone already went over the cockpit with another layer, can't figure that one out. The interior isn't tht bad. has original headliner in good shape. anyway, for someone with limited funds but a love for the old Hatteras, will be pricey and take time. The aft bulkhead is pretty shot so, had plans of removing the cockpit deck and aft bulkhead completley. Had the old Chyslers in it and would love to o diesel but, don't think it'll be in my budget plus, want to be able to move it around, old engines shot, and could probably reuse the Velvet drives. want to get the DC power in order and clean her up real good.

Enjoy!!! 4 years in the making and still haven't finished.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...4-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I have the exact some boat. I can help you a lot. As can everyone else here. If your cockpit is rotted so is the beam under the aft bulkhead. We just finished replacing that. Was not as big a deal as I thought it would be but it took some creativity. As for power if going Diesel we have Cummins 270HP that push the boat just fine. Would recommend the 330 or 370 as they fit better.Also check out on the hull truth forum. Under boating there is a thread by "Micky" where he resurrected one over 3 years.
    madhatter1 what kind of speeds are you seeing with the 270’s? I am in the process of retrofitting a 1962 34sc. And am looking for numbers for the Cummins options. I have a dealer close to me that can give me remanufactured 300’s for a good price. Wondering that cruising speeds and WOT speeds you are seeing with the 270’s!!?

Fresh out of the yard with new bottom job cruise @ 2200 is 23-24, @2400 26-27, WOT 31. All in MPH. After being in the water a while and relying on diver all the same less about 1/2 MPH. Heads up you need a raw water cooled intercooler to fit in your boat. The 270 has a fresh water cooled intercooler with an overhead charge air pipe and we had to modify hatches to get them closed. You have like an inch or so less I believe. Use four blade props for higher cruise speed.

Good luck. Make sure the rebuilds took care of whatever issues the 300’s had. I don’t know what those were but I heard stories. Well worth the repower if you’re hanging onto the boat.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Madhatter1 Thanks for the reply! Those numbers sound great to me!! I can hope to see a little more speed as we have converted the boat to an express! With less weight without the salon and a little more HP we might see be riding perfect! Curious as to what kind of fuel economy you were seeing at cruising speeds?? Also do you have trim tabs on your 34? Our came with a set but we have heard Mixed reviews. Thanks again!! I think soon I will be starting a thread to show progress of the full restoration!

1.1 to 1.2 SMPG. Tabs on the 34 are only needed for leveling the ride. Tab down at speed and the boat slows down.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP