Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alexseal Paint Color

Is Alexseal Oyster White T9128 the same color as Awlgrip Oyster White? Is that the correct color for my 1973 43DC? The whole top side of my boat has been hand painted poorly by the previous owner with bright white Interlux paint. At least those are the partial cans I found on the boat. I would like to repaint it slowly in sections starting with the dash at the helm.

I've stripped off the carpet glue at the helm which was a real job. I now need to fill and fair and paint.

Hatteras Dash old.jpgHatt Helm Stripped.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Alexseal Paint Color

Why not use Awlgrip? There may be a cross reference or color chips available on the web or at the paint store. Edward

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Why not use Awlgrip? There may be a cross reference or color chips available on the web or at the paint store. Edward
    After reading about the various attributes of Awlgrip, Interlux, Imron and Alexseal, I thought for my piecemeal approach the Alexseal might be my best solution. I'm open to suggestions.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

The advantage to using Awlgrip is that it is made to be brushed. None of the other paints are, as far as I know. That doesn't mean you can't apply them with brush and roller, but the support and information is far less available. Jamestown Distributors have a good DVD on brushing Awlgrip, I found it very useful. You can get nearly spray quality if you practice and pay attention to your prep, your reducer, and accelerator.

I did, and I am by no means the handiest guy on here.

Alexseal has instructions for brush and roller, for what it's worth. I've never done the roll and tip method, but I do have experience spraying. I haven't decided yet. From what I have read, Alexseal is easier to touch up than Awlgrip. I'm only an internet expert, not a real expert.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Also not expert on the subject. However, there is a good publication (non Interlux) on rolling Interlux Perfection as opposed to roll/tip. I’ve had good luck with it. The salient point is thinning to up to 20% (depending on temperature). Using a foam roller, the bubbles disappear in seconds.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Awlgrip is the best for roll and tip. Adding a brushing treatment like the one from axalta(imron) helps with bubbles and makes a better finish.

Awlgrip is polyester urethane.
    Awlcraft 2000 is acrylic urethane.
    Imron is polyurethane enamel.

I forget what alexseal is.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Alexseal is the best for both brushing and spray. Why? Alexseal can be wet-sanded and polished to remove any imperfections. Awlgrip can't be corrected as easily, so any drips and sags or roller stipple during your roll and "drip" painting session are forever locked in time.

I'm intimately familiar with both products after doing a complete paint job on my 70 foot motoryacht. Awlgrip was formulated back in the 70s and is dinosaur technology that has the most brand recognition. When the average Joe walking the dock sees you painting your boat they either think you are "gelcoaint it" or "awlgripping it". Alexseal was more recently formulated by the same guy that formulated Awlgrip improving on the limitations of his old formulation.

FYI: Hatteras doesn't use Imron or Awlgrip on their new builds anymore. They use Alexseal.

With that said, all the 2-part poly paints are excellent products! Just my 2 cents.

Not commenting on the methodologies being suggested but you should be aware that Awlgrip oyster white and Alexseal oyster white are not the same color. The Awlgrip ow is a perfect match to Bertram gelcoat. I tried Alexseal ow and quickly discovered it was a creamier white than the Awlgrip. Got it off and went back to Awlgrip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Line View Post
    Not commenting on the methodologies being suggested but you should be aware that Awlgrip oyster white and Alexseal oyster white are not the same color. The Awlgrip ow is a perfect match to Bertram gelcoat. I tried Alexseal ow and quickly discovered it was a creamier white than the Awlgrip. Got it off and went back to Awlgrip.
    That's what I need to know. Are any of the stock Alexseal colors a good match for 1970's Hatteras off white that you know of? Since mine has been done in bright white, I don't need an exact match, but I would like to get close.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA