Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New Cat 7.1 for repower

Looks like Cat is going after the repower market for smaller HP older boats. They claim the new 7.1 is perfect to replace 3208's or "two stokes". Based on the hp, I'd say that means up to 8v71's could be replaced with these. And notice how much emphasis they put on how quiet they are. Seems like they are giving a real sales pitch to replace your DD's.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/c...n-engines.html
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: New Cat 7.1 for repower

Only rated for pleasure craft. Heavier than similar hp cummins. 6.7.

Lighter and lower hp than 8.3 cummins.

Lowballed a repower to a customer of mine. Sent some but ugly panels and other crap and when the customer asked for a little more pleasing design they told him no. By by and have a nice day.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Interesting coincidence: I saw a pair of these a day or two ago when T&S were in town to drop off a tech to help pull my HEs. They had a pair of C7.1s on their truck and trailer, going to power a new boat for the CBF.

They report that these have been out about two years, and indeed everyone DOES remark on how quiet they are, and that they are very economical with fuel. Being inline sixes, the service access is easy. And, so far, they are reliable. How they will hold up over the longer term is anyone's guess. I think the weight is comparable to the C series Cummins, which make more power. The QSB Cummins are lighter.

As to dropping right in... well.... they had to do a fair amount of fab work for this installation; in fact, it held it up a bit. Other installations I can't comment on.

It's amusing that they tout them as replacements for DDs. Of course, they are lighter and have a much better power to weight ratio, but so does every other four-stroke diesel out there. What would be more meaningful would be a comparison to other equally modern diesels- Volvo, Cummins, Yanmar, etc. Do MTU and MAN still make small diesels in this size class?

I think the 8.3 C series is as small you want to go to replace 8V71 T. These maybe ok to replace naturals but that’s over a litre less
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Keep in mind this is basically a 3126 with common rail injection.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I wasn't promoting them, just thought the sales link was interesting.
    Sky Cheney

Thanks for that, very interesting, would you happen to know what the belt driven electric clutch is for on the commercial version? Here’s a shot video on CAT tenacity even when reassembled under less than ideal conditions. https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=jPUm2ixBpUU
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Wonder how many hours it had on it.
    Sky Cheney

If it's a 3126 based engine, I feel quite sorry indeed for anyone who buys one.

Thought all CAT marine engines smaller than C18 were from the Fiat/Iveco (FPT) CAT partnership because CAT didn't want to develop new engines to meet the current EPA tier 3 requirements?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E