Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Portside list?

Portside list?

I recently purchased a 1980 58' Yachtfish. It comes 'equiped' with a portside list. My previous boat (50' Grandbanks) had fuel tanks on both sides so I could move fuel to level it out. I haven't been able to spend any time on the boat since purchase so I'm not sure what a good solution might be. My understanding is that the tanks are down the center so moving fuel won't help. What about water tanks? Are they centered as well? Thanks...
    Bob

Re: Portside list?

Try looking in the gent room under the galley. You will find lead ballast outboard of the batteries. As long as a previous owner hasn’t done something to add weight to that side you can shift that ballast to even things out.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Is the starboard ER tank in use? I use that tank for water and keep I full most o the time. When full the port list is gone.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

On the 58 Yachfish there is no tanks in the ER. There is a tank in the genny room but it’s centerline, as is the one under the cockpit. These boats came right from the factory so I would look for something a previous owner may have added. In the Benny room the batteries could be a source if you had them on one side and not the other. Also there is two transformers in there as well. If one was removed that would cause a list.
    John
    Wickford RI

Thanks for the responses. What about the fuel tank in the cockpit? Is it centerline as well? How about the cockpit water tank? I apologize for what might seem silly questions, but as I said, I haven't had any time on board. Closed the deal in January and headed to Arizona for the winter. Planning a trip back early May to catch up on a bunch of deferred maintenance and have a bow thruster installed. It's good to have an old boat to consume all my extra time and money...
    Bob

All fat chicks to starboard - inspiration from Seven.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Yes cockpit tanks are centerline. You will love the boat once you get these little things straightened out. Look for something heavy that was added by a previous owner, or conversely something that was removed from the other side. How bad of a list?
    John
    Wickford RI

It's a noticeable list. I wonder if a genset may have been added. It has two - a 12KW and a 20KW. Is that a standard arrangement? When I'm back at the boat, I'll see if I can find ballast on the port side which could be moved. I'm hoping not to have to move batteries. Thanks,
    Bob

I found lead ballast in the chart locker (the storage next to the stairs). After I removed all of the old gear and furniture and replaced it, I needed to adjust the ballast. The original sofa was a very heavy sleeper, and the old radar and radios weighed a bit and seemed to be concentrated on the port side.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

i had 300 lbs of lead under the cockpit on the stbd side aft. it seems that the 58yf's that have the wet bar/ icemaker on the back deck on the port side have a list that needs to be accounted for, the models that came with the wet bar/ icemaker inside the salon on the stbd side doesn't need the ballast
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.