Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marquip Sea stairs

I need to replace the wheels/casters and cannot get ANY movement. What's the trick? I have them soaking in WD, it's low 30's here so I'm trying to shake off some cabin fever. I also need to replace some bolts that hold the steps to the side rails. I had one step that was missing both top side bolts and when trying to remove an orig bolt it snapped. So now I'm soaking everything in WD. The bolts are stainless and drilling them out is gonna suck or be impossible.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Marquip Sea stairs

WD40 will not help. The bolts are put in with Lock Tight permanent hold. To remove or tighten you have to get the metal almost red hot with a torch. You have to do the same when removing the broken bolts. Drill out the broken bolt and use an easy out. Heat it up and back it out slowly. The wheels are probably corroded to the frame. It will also come out with a crowbar and heat. Hope this helps.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree with Seven, but be very careful with the torch as aluminum has a much lower melting point
    than steel. That being said, alum has a higher expansion coefficient than steel when heated so I would
    go carefully with the torch to the alum and try to move the steel part at the same time. Do not heat
    for too long otherwise the heat will be absorbed by the steel and you will effectively nullify your effort
    as the steel will also start to expand. When I was in the firearms manufacturing business years ago we
    had some rifle actions that had a chrome moly steel insert heat shrunk into 7075 T6 alum (very hard
    grade of alum). We would heat the alum part to approx 700 degrees F. and at the same time freeze
    the steel part in dry ice. This shrunk the steel and expanded the alum sleeve so a very rapid insertation
    effectively made the two pieces become one. What you are trying to do is exactly the opposite. I think
    it will work. Let us know...

Walt

I remember putting King pins for a 70-'s Moho in the freezer.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I was able to get one bolt out to find a match but I stopped there. I suppose friction hold the casters in place because they aren't budging. I'll try again with a fresh tank of mapp gas.

It’s a two person job for both. Take your time. Once it gets hot enough to loosen the lock tight out they come. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The easiest way to remove the old caster is to drill a hole above the shaft and drive it out with a punch. If you do a nice job it will look like it was supposed to be there. On the stair side bolts if you can heat and remove the other bolts you may be able to expose it enough of the broken one to get vise grips on the stub.

I had a broken SS bolt in a bottom step and I wound up taking it to a machine shop where they were unable to remove the bolt. In the end they cut away the alloy, removed the broken bolt and built up the step with weld, then drilled and tapped for a new bolt.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

When you put it all back together use tef-gel on everything. Make sure to use good quality 316 stainless bolts/nuts not the junk from Low’s or Home Depot.
    If it ain't broke don't break it by fixing it!

If you use tef gel plan on tightening the bolts everytime you use the ladder. They will work out quickly, this is why Marquipt used lock tight. I used the temp lock tight on one of the bolts and I needed to tighten it every time I went to the boat. I finally used the permanent lock tight. Problem solved.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I finally got the casters off. Three popped right out with a touch of heat but the last one needed to be punched out from the top. I have a new respect for aluminum, the way I was pounding on it I was just waiting for something else to break but everything held up. Now where do I get replacements at. I read prior posts but I get blank screens when I go to the recommended Website. I did a google check but can't find the same stem type with the friction ring.