Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: draining heat exchangers

Hello Jim,

Don't pour the old oil into your heating oil. I tried this with my workshop furnace by diluting one gallon of oil to four gallons of furnace oil. I was cleaning my oil burner once a week, it would not burn properly and stop igniting. It would always happen when the outside temperature was 20F of lower.

I save my old coolant to winterize my engines in the fall and a little bit goes into the pressure washer because my storage shed freezes.

Walt Hoover

I know. There is such a thing as a waste oil burner which is built for using waste engine oil and ATF, but my garage isn't big enough for it. And the garage where I keep my cars isn't mine, so it's not practical to put one there. It would be nice, though. No one makes a small waste oil burner that I've been able to find. Wish they did, I'd buy one.

What is the preferred material for heat exchanger fasteners? Stainless or regular cad plated bolts?
    Last edited by dsharp; 03-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Not sure what you mean. Mine, on Cummins B series engines, are held onto the engine by steel bolts, from Cummins, screwed through rubber and steel mounting pads. Can you clarify what you are asking about?

The Detroit mechanic working on my 6-71's replaces the bolts with stainless when he removes them. He says he uses anti-seize on them, although I've heard of people using a marine grease with no metallic content out of concern for electrolysis. I don't know if that's a legitimate concern. I currently have stainless in the port exchanger and grade 8 in the starboard. We'll see what breaks.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I was thinking more about the Detroit style. I think they’re 5/16 bolts and it seems like at least 1 will break if the previous mechanic failed to use an anti seize product. Some of the stainless today is pretty soft.

Avoid the guess work and use what Detroit sells.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Avoid the guess work and use what Detroit sells.
    Ditto. Beware of SS galling. Note the heat often generated from just hand ratcheting.

I like to treat steel bolt heads with phosphoric acid and leave overnight. They will have a protective coating on them plus be etched and ready to accept paint.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC