Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Under water lights

Just took this, anchored in the Exumas. That s a pair of Ocean LEDs.

I ve use Lumitech Seablaze in the past and never got them to last more than 1 to 2 years. Cheaper than Ocean LEDs though
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

miss molly lights 2 small.jpg

3 years so far. its all about voltage, heavy gauge wire, and well grounded.miss molly lights 1 small.jpg
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Thumbs up Re: Under water lights

I just installed 4 new Lumitec Spectrum X2's and am very happy with them. Great lights for the price and I prefer the surface mounts with only a small hole for the wire. Sorry for the large picture and its weird orientation, it's my first time uploading a pic.
    Attached Images

Myself and two friends placed a bulk order for three boats when Ocean Led released the 3010 model. They were very bright but all failed quickly with zero support. It was a $5K experiment for me.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

That’s why I went with Aqualuma. The light itself is all inside the boat and never gets wet. Yes you have to put 3” holes in your stern. The light in reality is waterproof. And will never have an issue with electrolysis because the housing is carbon fiber.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I put 6 SeablazeX's on last year. 2 were dead within a few months and a third likes to flicker and dim. Was going to add 6 more this spring but having second thoughts....
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Before I went ahead, I checked with a marine electrician, and called Lumitec support.
    They said problems are 99pct voltage drop. My setup is at the upper end of voltage at the light, and no issues. Call them for assistance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

On the last haul out I bought two Lumtec SeablazeX's to install. One was DOA. Lumtec did replace it without any hassle which was a plus. Now less than 1.5 years in, the other one has just up and died. Lumtec said they will replace it if I send it back, but I won't be able to do that until my next haul out and then I'll have to wait for the turn around time on the replacement. Not real happy with them.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Many of these lights have a driver that specs input voltage of 9-32v. Has anyone tried to run these at 32v? I know a 32v system will produce voltage higher than 32v so that may not be a good idea. But, if they need to be at the upper level of the input voltage, maybe 32v is the answer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for all the pictures. I can definitely see me doing this.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL