Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Made it back in my slip safe and sound. Crazy winds by the time we got here, but I powered past the slip, spun around, and timed it just right. I was even able to keep her straight with some reverse on the port. Applying power makes all the difference. Now I need to practice. I didn't plan on the weather being so rough on the return but this trip taught me a lot. With regards to fuel, the river used more, but I think that had to do with wind, current and trying to get to marinas on time. I need to analyze the logs. The wind was 20 to 30 mph. Maybe not as bad as 50 mph, but I haven't been out in anything over 10 mph. It was enough to cause the boat to list, and it was perpendicular to my slip.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Congratulations on a successful trip and no major insurance claims. :-) You'll be a pro in no time.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

My mistake was going out without knowing how to use the throttles. But I learned quick. The best thing that helped me, other than the advice here, were those draw bridges that forced me to fight the wind and current. By the second draw bridge, it was a new experience. But I know how to count my blessings. I am going to practice with the controls more, in a safer setting. It is still new to me.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Being a marker lighter upper with a spotlight can get you a good cussing.
    I understand you alls point about spotlighting, but I can tell you the tugboat captains that travel the ICW in NC atleast are swinging that spotlight all over the place. You can watch them heading south from about 5 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I understand you alls point about spotlighting, but I can tell you the tugboat captains that travel the ICW in NC atleast are swinging that spotlight all over the place. You can watch them heading south from about 5 miles away.
    That's a tad different. They need every square inch of the channel sometimes, and other boaters, especially those who are anchored, need to know their presence. Those things are hard to stop.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Those lights are 30, 40’ maybe more above the water shining downward. Most often they are illuminating their tow which is helpful. Far different from undisciplined use. Tows I’ve passed deflect or kill the light as a matter of courtesy.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I added pictures from the river portion of the trip...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=323440d3f4
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Thanks for the pics. Where are you moored at home? Years ago I used to be at the Intracoastal marina in Melbourne by the old Shooters and before that Captain Hiram’s in Sebastian.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I am at Melbourne Harbor Marina, by the Chart House restaurant. The Shooters marina and restaurant are gone, I think it was Irma that took them out. However, they seem to be just in the early stages of rebuilding a new restaurant and marina there.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I'm currently in Ft. Pierce. It's a good inlet but very exposed during a hurricane. Does Tom Nelson still own/run your marina? I have actually considered moving up there.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's