Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    You will still see the launch if it goes off on schedule.You are at the mercy of the wind, waves and current when trying to anchor out there. Not much you could do otherwise. It is still much better than being on the ICW. Enjoy the voyage.
    We did finally see the launch, and even though we were quite a ways north by the time it finally launched, it looked nice. Turns out that it was quite delayed anyways and we probably wouldn't have waited that long even if we could have anchored.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Ocean vs River really is to taste. We give you the perspective, you do what’s right for you and your crew. I love the ocean and I love it at night. Phosphorescent algae, cruise ship light, a s$#t ton of stars. No shoaling, etc. but that’s us. We used to go out fishing in 8-10’ in a 30’ sea ray when the 60’ vikings we’re still in port. Glad you had a good trip. As far as your wonky anchoring experience, look at the current, wind direction fcst and wave direction to get a sense of the combination. Agree that a stern ancher was probably your only potential solution but that may not have solved your problem. Moving and tacking was a good call.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

3. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Yes, I'm stirring the pot here a little, but explain how being, "at the mercy of the wind, waves, and current when trying to anchor out there", is better than being on the ICW where none of that is an issue.
    Because it is the open ocean and not a man made canal. I could not miss the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean, especially at night. I love to feel the boat pitch and roll around under me while under way. I can't get enough of it. But that is just me.

And again speaking for myself, I have been up and down the east coast numerous times and have never had the need or desire to run inside at any time. If the weather is bad, I'll just wait for a better day for departure.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Because it is the open ocean and not a man made canal. I could not miss the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean, especially at night. I love to feel the boat pitch and roll around under me while under way. I can't get enough of it. But that is just me.

And again speaking for myself, I have been up and down the east coast numerous times and have never had the need or desire to run inside at any time. If the weather is bad, I'll just wait for a better day for departure.
    We’re talking about viewing a launch, or at least trying to view a launch. Hence my question. I would MUCH rather run outside than inside UNLESS inside is the better option for the purpose of my trip.

That being said, my favorite color is... dependent on what we’re talking about. Blue is my favorite color for water. Now then, where are the pics?
    Attached Images
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

5. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

I have never bothered to anchor out there. When we watched the shuttle launches back in the day, I would just run the canned racetrack patterns already programmed in the autopilot back and forth just outside the restricted area until she went up or was delayed/ cancelled. Lots more fun than sitting in a man made canal with the Searays and sailboats. We only went out there for the night launches.

Where are you coming up with this, man made canal thing?

Just out of curiosity, what have you been running that’s kept you out of the ICW?

No doubt lots of it is undesirable, but it definitely has its good points in others. I definitely avoid it in SFL and definitely stay out of it (for the most part) on the west coast. Panhandle is great, though.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

7. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

It is man made. It is in simplest form, just a series of canals or dredged channels across shoals and shallows connecting various rivers, sounds and lakes. It is a impressive feat of engineering and speaks highly of the Corps of Engineers. A shame that they don't have the funding to keep it properly dredged and maintained.

Right now I'm running a 100' Broward but it draws the same as your typical Sporty or medium sized sailboat. It wouldn't have much trouble inside. I just prefer the ocean and all it has to offer. Including the bad weather days. YMMV
    Last edited by kelpy; 03-16-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Life is different in a 100 footer, but when I think canal, I think upper Tenn-Tom and Chain Of Rocks on the Mississippi. Those are 100% man made, but that explains your view of the ditch.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

9. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Ditches are dug by man and machine. An apt moniker.

Sidebar: My favorite canals are the Panama Canal and the Mohawk River/ Erie Canal. I don't really desire to go through the Panama Canal again but it was an amazing experience watching and listening to the mechanism work. I would go on a boat through the latter anytime. A trip up from the Hudson River up to the Georgian Bay area is one I will never tire of.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Now then, where are the pics?
    Here are a few so far ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2132542056793814&type=1&l=323440d3f4
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL