Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I made that run up and down quite a few times over the years and I tend to agree with George that if
    conditions are suitable the ocean route is the way to do it. By all means do the inside passage at least
    once to experience different sights, but be aware that it takes a good deal more time and aggravation
    from no wake areas, traffic etc. Although I did the trips on MY's, I almost always ran on plane as these
    were destination trips and time was important. I always liked being offshore running the autopilot with
    both hands free while enjoying some fresh steamed shrimp and a can of ginger ale. I will admit however
    that it can be much more boring after a while because I didn't have the "excitement" of running aground
    or getting yelled at if your speed happens to exceed idle. Oh well, to each his own. The main thing is
    safety should be the main consideration so if conditions offshore are predicted to be snotty, it would
    definitely be more prudent to run inside.

Walt
    You have to keep in mind he's not going to be running on plane. I hope he does make it a circle route with flat seas as I'd bet inside may even be faster/shorter in this case.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We are about 20 miles north of the center right now. Everything went smooth down the river through the lock and out the inlet. A little rough heading to our spot at Hetzel shoal, because of the angle we had to run, but we made it there. However, anchoring was a disaster. We were able to anchor ok (20 ft of water there) and laid out enough chain (I have 200 ft), but because of the Gulf Stream and the direction of the waves, the waves (2 and 3 ft) were hitting us in the beam and we were rolling more than I have ever rolled. This was the only time so far anything fell. It was impressive rolling. Anyways, we gave up anchoring and are on our way to St Augustine. Everyone wanted to get top the nearest inlet, but I told them to hold on, once we can drive again, and we are not at such an angle trying to get to the shoal to watch the launch, it would smooth out, and it did. I played with the speed a bit to time the waves, we are in mostly a following sea now, and a little bit of tacking, from time to time, and everyone is happy. Most are sleeping right now because of the chaos of docking. So, we won't see the launch, but the rest of the trip is looking up.

What should I have done at the shoal to park? We had plenty or rode, but the current was such that it kept the boat 90 degrees to the waves. I had thought, and told everyone, once we docked it would be better because the anchor would keep the bow pointed at the waves, but it was much worse. Is there any way to anchor or park in that scenario?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

3. Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

You will still see the launch if it goes off on schedule.You are at the mercy of the wind, waves and current when trying to anchor out there. Not much you could do otherwise. It is still much better than being on the ICW. Enjoy the voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    We are about 20 miles north of the center right now. Everything went smooth down the river through the lock and out the inlet. A little rough heading to our spot at Hetzel shoal, because of the angle we had to run, but we made it there. However, anchoring was a disaster. We were able to anchor ok (20 ft of water there) and laid out enough chain (I have 200 ft), but because of the Gulf Stream and the direction of the waves, the waves (2 and 3 ft) were hitting us in the beam and we were rolling more than I have ever rolled. This was the only time so far anything fell. It was impressive rolling. Anyways, we gave up anchoring and are on our way to St Augustine. Everyone wanted to get top the nearest inlet, but I told them to hold on, once we can drive again, and we are not at such an angle trying to get to the shoal to watch the launch, it would smooth out, and it did. I played with the speed a bit to time the waves, we are in mostly a following sea now, and a little bit of tacking, from time to time, and everyone is happy. Most are sleeping right now because of the chaos of docking. So, we won't see the launch, but the rest of the trip is looking up.

What should I have done at the shoal to park? We had plenty or rode, but the current was such that it kept the boat 90 degrees to the waves. I had thought, and told everyone, once we docked it would be better because the anchor would keep the bow pointed at the waves, but it was much worse. Is there any way to anchor or park in that scenario?
    Bow into the waves and set a stern anchor... or run the ICW when you want to watch a launch.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Good info here thank for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    You will still see the launch if it goes off on schedule.You are at the mercy of the wind, waves and current when trying to anchor out there. Not much you could do otherwise. It is still much better than being on the ICW. Enjoy the voyage.
    Yes, I'm stirring the pot here a little, but explain how being, "at the mercy of the wind, waves, and current when trying to anchor out there", is better than being on the ICW where none of that is an issue.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Other than the anchoring, this is a lot of fun. And now, after just 4 hours, I know exactly what I would have done different for the launch. These waves are not that hard to ride. Had I known what I know now, I could have plotted a different course that would have gotten us to where we needed, on time for the launch, without anchoring, and with calmness. I understand that you like riding down the river more than the ocean, but I don't understand why you evangelize what is nothing more than your personal taste. Next you will try to convince me that your favorite color should be my favorite color. There are a lot of boats out here and most of them are smaller than mine. Maybe they just like it out here. It is kind of nice in open blue water. And this was to be an overnight ocean journey for the experience. I don't believe many people ride these boats in the river at night. At least I don't see them do it down here.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

And I am not driving, my 15 year old son is driving. We have been about 5 miles off shore the whole way. That works well because it give you enough room to find the groove and allows you to tack a little when necessary. The rest of the crew (there are 7 of us on board), who wanted to mutiny during the anchoring, are cooking steaks. Lastly, I have to give a shout out to the Wave WiFi antenna. It has worked 100% at the 4 marinas I have used it so far, and 100% offshore via my iPhone.

I appreciate the advice, but saying that the ocean is different than the river would have sufficed. I do agree that you drive the ocean when you need to. And wanting to be in the ocean is a need.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Arrived safe and sound. Meant to arrive later in the morning, when it was light, but since we didn't wait for the launch, we were many hours ahead of schedule. So not only first time driving at night, but also first time entering an unknown marina at night and finding an anchorage (the City Marina never responded to our hail, even though I called earlier and told them we would be early). We are anchored right in front of the fort. We will be here a couple days and then back home via the ICW.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Well I for one am a little envious. As long as everyone is safe and feel good you are doing what having a boat is all about, the journey. You are getting experience. It's 30 degrees here with a chance of snow so even with a dicey anchoring it sounds like your having way more fun.

Enjoy
    Walt Hoover