Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    It's also easier (at least for me) to remain alert at night if I'm running the markers vs running open ocean. You also feel like you're actually moving vs feeling like a bobbing beer bottle. Gaining experience in operating on the ocean is best done in daylight, but if you do have 2-3 foot seas, that's not going to do much for you in terms of experience with a 53. Again, whatever floats your boat.
    Exactly. You get the inside figured out, day and night, and everything is easier. Outside is boring. If it's not boring, you're probably having a rough time.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 12.29.18 PM.jpg

Here are the markers that need a chart correction (especially at night) from last week's LNM.

You might consult Active Captain for additional shoaling information.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

This site really does need a like button. One other thing you may want to consider (and your wife will be able to give you insight on this), it's easier to become seasick at night given it's more difficult (if not impossible) to see the horizon. You won't find my old ass on a roller coaster (didn't even like them as a kid), but I'm fortunate in that I've never had a problem with seasickness. I actually enjoy big water, when I'm not sideways in it running 10 knots. Lots of folks aren't that lucky, and it's miserable when you're committed to running outside.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks for the replies, even Freebird's suggestion that I rent an RV and take 95. We will keep the river as option B if the weather turns crappy by Friday, though I doubt I will do the whole trip at night that way, since I haven't even done it in the day. Right now it is 2 - 3 ft and closer to 45 deg at our stern. I don't know if that helps or hurts, yet. I will take plenty of pictures.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Rock and roll... dude!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Thanks for the replies, even Freebird's suggestion that I rent an RV and take 95. We will keep the river as option B if the weather turns crappy by Friday, though I doubt I will do the whole trip at night that way, since I haven't even done it in the day. Right now it is 2 - 3 ft and closer to 45 deg at our stern. I don't know if that helps or hurts, yet. I will take plenty of pictures.
    The word is wallow. You'll do better to get your speed up a bit in a following sea.

I was on a Navy P-3 Orion way back when doing a low level from Charleston to Pensacola. A guy got sick in the back. Pretty soon the smell reached the cockpit and it became unanimous--everybody was sick. I'm not prone, but others are. Now, I take a pill beforehand.

BTW, what exit?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Update. Weather still looking great for the leg up to St Augustine via ocean, 2ft and less most of the way, but coming back Sunday/Monday looking rougher, 4 to 6 ft and rain. Thus, we will come back via ICW. We can leave a little earlier Sunday, and complete the rest of the trip Monday. Anything to watch for on that route (from St Augustine to Melbourne on ICW)?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Seems to me you have your route backwards if you want to get some ocean experience.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

There is shoaling with and without dredging in some spots that can make the usual 7-10’ a little hairy. The mariner updates that Robert is pointing at will help you understand those critical areas. My last experience will not be useful to you because it changes constantly. Also there are a few narrow canal portions that do not have no wake signs and there are some boat owners who watch for any plowing and will get on you if your not minimal wake. I believe Ormond Beach was such a place.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I made that run up and down quite a few times over the years and I tend to agree with George that if
    conditions are suitable the ocean route is the way to do it. By all means do the inside passage at least
    once to experience different sights, but be aware that it takes a good deal more time and aggravation
    from no wake areas, traffic etc. Although I did the trips on MY's, I almost always ran on plane as these
    were destination trips and time was important. I always liked being offshore running the autopilot with
    both hands free while enjoying some fresh steamed shrimp and a can of ginger ale. I will admit however
    that it can be much more boring after a while because I didn't have the "excitement" of running aground
    or getting yelled at if your speed happens to exceed idle. Oh well, to each his own. The main thing is
    safety should be the main consideration so if conditions offshore are predicted to be snotty, it would
    definitely be more prudent to run inside.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Anything to watch for on that route (from St Augustine to Melbourne on ICW)?
    Yeeaah. LNM and Active Captain as previously posted. Will you recognize a bifurcated channel marker when you encounter one? There are two along your route.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC