Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Port Canaveral to St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    If your wife enjoyed that overnight run across the Gulf, she'll absolutely have a blast running up the east coast in the dark in beam seas! You go, boy!
    Lol, that was horrible. That captain went 12 hours later than I told him to, and 6 to 8 foot seas caught up with him. That is why I don't listen to captains anymore. Where did I say I was going to run in beam seas? I checked the weather. It will be a piece of cake. If you have an unreasonable fear of the ocean, that is cool, but that doesn't mean everyone is that way.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Lol, that was horrible. That captain went 12 hours later than I told him to, and 6 to 8 foot seas caught up with him. That is why I don't listen to captains anymore. Where did I say I was going to run in beam seas? I checked the weather. It will be a piece of cake. If you have an unreasonable fear of the ocean, that is cool, but that doesn't mean everyone is that way.
    Exactly where was this captain supposed to call it a day having left out of Mobile heading for Clearwater?

Yes, I'm messing with you a little, but believe it or not, I'm just trying to help. This despite me being a captain. I have no fear of the ocean, but I do have a healthy respect for it. There is a big difference in running to the islands where there is no choice, but I don't have anything to prove by taking unnecessary risks and/or exposing my boat/crew to uncomfortable conditions when I have an alternative. Sometimes running outside cuts time/costs considerably, but this isn't one of those times. Not encountering beam seas will be a neat trick when you're running north, and I trust you are aware of your options for inlets should you encounter an unexpected problem.

Whatever you decide, have fun, be safe, and take lots of pictures. Then again, those can and will be used against you in a court of law.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Ok, yes there will be beam seas. my bad, I thought you meant that the boat will be on beam, like with the crossing. At this point we are looking at 2 to 3 feet. Coming back, the direction of the waves will be better. So let me ask you this. How big a deal is it navigating the ICW at night along that route? We will have 3/4 moon. That is the main issue, though I really want to go in the ocean and get the experience. We will be doing the Keys for a week in the summer.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have run the east coast from ft Lauderdale to Jacksonville in many different segments both inside and outside over a couple of decades. I can tell you that if the seas are moderate, outside is way less hassle and much faster. I actually enjoy it unless it’s rough. Inside is more protected but lots of no wake zones in parts and some navigation problems with shallow water needing dredging in parts. That’s where Roberts suggestion comes in. I draw 5’ and have chewed up bottom when there are navigation problems in the ICW and that makes me a lot more nervous than some weather offshore (to a point). One solid hit and it’s props off and swap, sent out, big money, swap back, hope they are done right. If you don’t have a good diver then it’s on the hard to boot. Everyone has different priorities I suppose.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Thanks. My original question was how far from the coast is a good distance? I would think you would want some buffer of distance in case something goes wrong engine wise. I wouldn't want to wash up on shore. Or maybe I have it backwards and things wash out to sea.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I finally found a map for the launch.

https://www.patrick.af.mil/Portals/14/WGS 10 LHA 15 MAR.pdf

I think the plan is to leave early enough Friday to get through the zones to Hetzel Shoal, before the zones close, hang out there for the launch, and then continue on to St Augustine. The launch window is from 6:56 pm to 9:05 pm (a relatively long window). It should be a pretty awesome view, given that sunset is 7:30 pm.

I guess I could actually anchor there?

Hetzel_Shoal.jpg

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have lived in the Ponce Inlet area since the 80's. Many trips to Canaveral, and St. Augustine, day and night, fishing and cruising. Just recently moved my 65c to Ft Pierce from Daytona, via the canal and ocean. Offshore Canaveral during the day is pretty, just have to be far offshore of the cape due to water depth. In a trough, you can strike bottom if not watching depth.

Almost a straight shot up the canal from Canaveral to Ponce Inlet, and 10-15 ft depth as of last month. Due to more activity from the launch complex, and depth around the cape, and this time of year, wind mostly out of the North, I usually take the canal from Ponce to Canaveral, and return. Easy run from Ponce to St, Augustine, or going South like I did from Canaveral to Ft. Pierce.

Also even after a blow, the waves are stacked up from Canaveral to just South of Ponce. Canal is well marked, and easy. Also bottle nose will play and entertain in the river.

Also the launch is awesome from the river, slick as glass, and the reflection is killer, night turns to day.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fish Tales 65c

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Ok, yes there will be beam seas. my bad, I thought you meant that the boat will be on beam, like with the crossing. At this point we are looking at 2 to 3 feet. Coming back, the direction of the waves will be better. So let me ask you this. How big a deal is it navigating the ICW at night along that route? We will have 3/4 moon. That is the main issue, though I really want to go in the ocean and get the experience. We will be doing the Keys for a week in the summer.
    It's easy enough to navigate that section at night, especially if it's clear. There aren't that many no wake zones (check your charts), but it really doesn't matter unless you plan to run on plane. I'm sure that's not the case here. Without going to the trouble to calculate both distances, I would think it to be a wash where that is concerned. Factor the in and out distances, and I think that will become a moot point.

It then comes back to the safety thing should you encounter a problem, and I still think your view of the launch would be better from inside than outside, but you can do the math to see where you will be at the time of the launch. If you can time it to be coming out of Haulover Canal, that would be the ultimate. It's also easier (at least for me) to remain alert at night if I'm running the markers vs running open ocean. You also feel like you're actually moving vs feeling like a bobbing beer bottle. Gaining experience in operating on the ocean is best done in daylight, but if you do have 2-3 foot seas, that's not going to do much for you in terms of experience with a 53. Again, whatever floats your boat.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

There is a long 40-60' shelf offshore in that area. 0.5-1.0 miles is probably good so your out of the shore action and can anchor if needed.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 03-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I usually find that the first trip inside is fun with a lot of new stuff to see but not so much after that. I forgot that you guys are hull speed or semi displacement. For me its full plane offshore so there is a big time difference. Not so much for the Hatt crowd.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's